The 20 projects recognized here are the result of a nearly yearlong effort by ENR editors and roughly 100 construction industry members who judged contest entries at various stages.
Representing the pinnacle of U.S. design and construction achievements among those completed between May 2020 and May 2021, this year’s award winners show the industry at its best, with teams overcoming an array of challenges to deliver impactful community assets.
Responding to ENR’s initial call for entries in March 2021, more than 800 project teams submitted entries. In each of ENR’s 10 regions, editors assembled judging teams to pick winners in 20 categories, listed on the opposite page. Of those regional winners, almost 200 moved up to the national competition.
A new group of judges (below) examined each to determine the best of the best in terms of teamwork, safety, overcoming challenges, innovation and quality. Three projects were shortlisted as Project of the Year nominees, with the Omaha Dept. of Veterans' Affairs Ambulatory Care Center cited as Project of the Year.
Join ENR to celebrate these leading projects at the Award of Excellence gala in New York City March 31-April 1. For more information, visit ENRAwardofExcellence.com.
- P3 Team Creates New Path for VA Projects
- Project of the Year Finalist, Excellence in Sustainability: Watershed
- Project of the Year Finalist, Best Residential/Hospitality: Clippership Wharf
- Best Landscape/Urban Development: Little Island
- Best Sports/Entertainment: Allegiant Stadium
- Best Cultural/Worship: Nancy and Rich Kinder Building
- Best Water/Environment: Atlanta Water Supply Program
- Best Energy/Industrial: Sweeny Hub, Phase 2 Expansion (SHP-2)
- Excellence in Safety: Cañada College Kinesiology and Wellness Building
- Best Government/Public Building: First American Museum
- Best Office/Retail Mixed-Use: 110 North Wacker
- Best Higher Education/Research: University of Texas at Dallas Sciences Building
- Best K-12 Education: Tampa Heights Elementary Magnet School
- Best Highway/Bridge: Brent Spence Bridge Fire Rehabilitation
- Best Airport/Transit: Norwegian Cruise Line Cruise Terminal B
- Best Renovation/Restoration: Old Cook County Hospital
- Best Interior/Tenant Improvement: GoodRx
- Best Manufacturing: National Institute of Health NCI Building T30 Cell Processing Modular Facility
- Best Small Project (Under $10M): SOS Children's Village Illinois Roosevelt Square Community Center
- Best Specialty Construction: City of Troy Seawall Stabilization
Nicholas M. DeNichilo
Mott Macdonald NA
President and CEO (Retired)
K. N. Gunalan
Senior Vice President
Alvaro J. Piedrahita
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates Inc.
Regional Director, Unit Manager and Associate Principal
Keith A. Douglas
The Whiting-Turner Contracting Co.
Executive Vice President
The Haskell Co.
Chairman and CEO (Retired)
John A. Martin & Associates Inc.
Hoffman Construction Co.
Executive Vice President (Retired)
Westchester County, New York
Director of Operations
Robert W. Ferris
Principal and Executive Director
Director for Flood Risk & Resilience, North America
Excellence in Safety Judges
Carl W. Heinlein
American Contractors Insurance Group
Senior Safety Consultant
Zurich Resilience Solutions | Risk Engineering
Assistant Vice President, Principal Construction Risk Engineer
Excellence in Sustainability Judges
Jeffrey L. Stanton