After reviewing and discussing the merits of scores of projects located in New York, New Jersey and the New England states, a panel of industry professionals from ENR New York and New England regions have selected the 2022 Best Project winners.
This year’s ENR New York judges chose 21 projects in the main categories while ENR New England judges chose 18 from across the region—which includes Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont—as main category winners.
The criteria used to evaluate projects and teams in each region included overcoming challenges, contribution to the industry and community, safety, and construction and design quality.
Judges could select any combination of Best Project category winners and Award of Merit winners for projects completed between May 1, 2021 and May 31, 2022. Judges did not vote in categories that included projects in which they or their firms were involved.
ENR New York Best Projects main category judges were: Verity Frizzell, architect at Feltz & Frizzell Architects LLC, and Howard Sackel, former NY-NJ Port Authority ARC Tunnel project director. ENR New England judges for the main categories were Scott Bascom, project architect at Kuth Ranieri, and Aidan Sullivan, project engineer at Engelberth Construction Inc.
The Peirce Island wastewater treatment facility upgrade in Portsmouth, N.H., won Best Project in the water/environment category and the Excellence in Safety award
Photo courtesy Methuen Construction.
Abby Ferri, chief risk officer at Insurate, selected this year’s Excellence in Safety award winners for ENR New York and New England regoins. In New York, she chose Cornell University’s North Campus residential expansion and in New England, her pick was the Peirce Island wastewater treatment facility upgrade in Portsmouth, N.H.
For the second year, one project in each region was also recognized with the Excellence in Sustainability award. This year’s sustainability judge for both regions was Nathan Turner, associate principal and partner at Margulies Perruzzi. He scored projects based on overall sustainability strategy, choice of materials and energy savings. Major sustainability designations such as LEED and WELL are preferable but not required for recognition in the sustainability category.
New York’s Excellence in Sustainability winner this year is the University of Albany Emerging Technology and Entrepreneur complex. In New England, the winner is Boston’s Conley Terminal modernization program and Berth 10 construction.
It’s no coincidence that both the Cornell residential expansion and the Conley Terminal modernization were also selected by the main category judges as Project of the Year in their respective regions.
Learn more about the Projects of the Year and all Best Project and Award of Merit winners in the linked articles below.
New York Projects
- Project of the Year, Best Higher Education/Research and Excellence in Safety: Cornell University - North Campus Residential Expansion (NCRE)
- Best Sports/Entertainment and Project of the Year Finalist: Jacob K. Javits Convention Center Expansion Project
- Best Residential/Hospitality and Project of the Year finalist: Le Pavillon
- Best Airport/Transit: Metro-North HU 21.16 Emergency Culvert Replacement Over Wicker's Creek, Dobbs Ferry, NY
- Award of Merit Airport/Transit: Design-Build Services for the Rutgers Tube Rehabilitation
- Award of Merit Airport/Transit: Buffalo Niagara International Airport Passenger Terminal Improvements
- Best Cultural/Worship and Award of Merit Excellence in Sustainability: Brooklyn Public Library, Adams Street Library
- Award of Merit: White Plains Hospital: Center for Advanced Medicine & Surgery
- Award o Merit Higher Education/Research and Excellence in Sustainability: Emerging Technology and Entrepreneur Complex
- Best Highway/Bridge: RFK Bridge Connector Ramp K to the Northbound Harlem River Drive (RK-23C)
- Award of Merit Highway/Bridge: NYSTA Cashless Tolling - Design and Construction Quality Assurance
- Award of Merit Highway/Bridge: Route 206 Bypass Contract B
- titleBest Interior/Tenant Improvement: Confidential Insurance Client
- Award of Merit Retail/Mixed-Use: Deutsche Bank Center
- Best Renovation/Restoration and Award of Merit Excellence in Safety: Farley Building Redevelopment Phase III
- Award of Merit Renovation/Restoration: Olympic Jumping Complex Outrun Reconstruction Project
- Award of Merit Renovation/Restoration: Great Jones Distillery
- Award of Merit Residential/Hospitality: The Station at Buffalo
- Award of Merit Sports/Entertainment: LEGOLAND New York Resort
- Award of Merit Sports/Entertainment: YMCA of Greater New York Northeast Bronx Community Center
- Award of Merit Water/Environment: Hopewell Precision Superfund Site
New England Projects
- Project of the Year and Best Specialty Construction and Best Project Excellence in Sustainability: Conley Terminal Modernization Program: New Berth 10 Construction
- Best K-12 Education and Project of the Year finalist: Campus Center Addition at Cotting School
- Best Airport/Transit and Project of the Year Finalist: P-310 Dry Dock 1 Super Flood Basin
- Award of Merit Government/Public Building: Ballardvale Fire Station
- Award of Merit Health Care: Boston Children's Hospital Hale Family Clinical Building
- Award of Merit Health Care: Bristol Hospital Emergency Department Addition
- Best Higher Education/Research: Boston College Schiller Institute for Integrated Science and Society
- Higher Education/Research and Award of Merit Excellence in Safety: Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Unity Hall
- Best Highway/Bridge: Chelsea Viaduct Rehabilitation
- Award of Merit Highway/Bridge: Exit 103 Open Road Tolling and Bridge Reconstruction Project
- Award of Merit Interior/Tenant Improvement: Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, Cell & Gene Therapy Fit-out at Innovation Square
- Award of Merit K-12 Education: Worcester South High Community School
- Best Office/Retail/Mixed-Use: EMD Serono Horizon Building
- Award of Merit Office/Retail/Mixed-Use: Hobbs Brook Development, 225 Wyman Street
- Best Residential/Hospitality: The Langham, Boston
- Best Renovation/Restoration and Award of Merit Excellence in Sustainability: Squirrelwood Apartments
- Award of Merit Renovation/Restoration: Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
- Best Water/Environment and Best Project Excellence in Safety: Peirce Island Wastewater Treatment Facility Upgrade