ENR California’s Best Projects competition received entries spanning the region. And with projects ranging from a wildfire cleanup effort and an iconic landmark restoration to a museum and performing arts plaza, the 53 award-winning projects are as varied as they are exceptional.
More than 100 entries were received for this year’s competition. A group of judges representing various specialties were assembled to review, score and determine the winners. Judges independently reviewed entries and convened with their peers to compare impressions and scores.
The judging panels selected Best Project winners in a range of categories as well as award of merit honorees. Judges were asked to recuse themselves in cases of conflict of interest.
In a separate panel, ENR California’s safety judges considered a project’s overall safety program, OSHA recordable incident rate, lost-time accident rate and total work hours.
The judges also selected Projects of the Year for Northern California and Southern California. The winners exemplify the breadth of skills, creativity and expertise required to produce structures that stretch design and construction skills and outperform existing norms.
In Northern California, ENR judges named the Chase Center Development not only as the Project of the Year but also the Excellence in Safety winner, lauding the team’s safety record and site-specific plan.
In Southern California, the Long Beach Civic Center impressed judges with the complex logistics of building a city hall, library, port headquarters and more.
ENR’s Best Projects program could not run without the expertise and consideration of our volunteer judges, who spend countless hours reviewing entries and debating their merits with their peers. ENR California thanks our 2020 regional judges, listed below in alphabetical order by first name:
- Aaron Yohnke, vice president and district manager – Los Angeles, PCL Construction Services Inc.
- Alan Hayes, safety director for California, JTM Construction Group Inc.
- Brian Ross, owner, InfraShares Inc.
- Caleigh Raymer, vice president, director of operations, Lendlease
- David Mori, engineering manager, Public Works Dept., City of Anaheim
- Donald Kahn, project executive, Largo Concrete Inc.
- Doug Conrath, principal, CRB
- Greg Nelson, principal, Altitude Design Office
- Ingrid Chaires, senior building physics engineer, Arup
- Kim Scott, vice president, business development and marketing, Blach Construction
- Pat Callahan, senior vice president of operations, Hathaway Dinwiddie
- Red Gayita, preconstruction and estimating manager, Swinerton
- Chase Center Meets Milestones and More
- Sacramento International Airport Runway 16R-34L Pavement Rehabilitation: Airport/Transit
- Fulton Road Reconstruction: Airport/Transit
- Salinas Police Service Headquarters: Government/Public Building
- Fresno County Dept. of Social Service Administration Building: Government/Public Building
- Livermore Electric Safety Academy: Green Project
- El Gabilan Library: Cultural/Worship
- The Mexican Museum Core and Shell at 706 Mission: Cultural/Worship
- New Stanford Hospital: Health Care
- El Camino Health Scrivner Center for Mental Health & Addiction Services: Health Care
- Bakar Precision Cancer Medicine Building: Health Care
- Santa Rosa Junior College Burbank Auditorium Modernization: Higher Education/Research
- Interstate 880 Northbound Safety and Operational Improvements at 23rd and 29th Avenues: Highway/Bridge
- Boise Schiller Flexner: Interior/Tenant Improvement
- Historic Alameda High School: K-12 Education
- Marin County Day School, Upper School Improvements: K-12 Education
- Rejuvenation of a Historic Power House: Renovation/Restoration
- DPR Sacramento Office: Renovation/Restoration
- Westfield Valley Fair Mall Expansion: Office/Retail/Mixed-Use
- Bouchaine Vineyards Visitor Center: Small Project (under $10 million)
- Expand Electrical Distribution System at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory: Specialty Contracting
- Camp Fire Debris Removal: Water/Environment
- Civic Center Brings Long Beach to Life
- San Ysidro Land Port of Entry Phase 2: Airport/Transit
- San Diego International Airport Federal Inspection Services: Airport/Transit
- Christ Cathedral: Cultural/Worship
- Legacy International Center: Cultural Worship
- University California Irvine Medical Center Non-OSHPD Central Utility Plant: Energy/Industrial
- County of San Diego - East County Office and Archives: Government/Public Building
- Kaiser Permanente Clairemont Mesa Medical Offices Replacement: Health Care
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center Ocean View Tower: Health Care
- Torrance Memorial Hunt Cancer Center: Health Care
- Environmental Nature Center Preschool: Green Project
- Marion Anderson Hall, UCLA Anderson School of Management: Higher Education/Research
- Huaxyacac Hall, San Diego State University: Higher Education/Research
- Route 210 Roadway Rehabilitation: Highway/Bridge
- Thacher School Dining Hall: K-12 Education
- Alamo Drafthouse & Cinema at The BLOC: Interior/Tenant Improvement
- Manatt, Phelps and Phillips: Interior/Tenant Improvement
- United Airlines Field at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum: Renovation/Restoration
- The Music Center Plaza: Landscape/Urban Development
- The Aliso: Residential/Hospitality
- The Culver Steps: Office/Retail/MIxed-Use
- Coast Boulevard Sea Cave Emergency Stabilization: Small Project (under $10 million)
- Chula Vista Fire Station 10 at Millenia: Small Project (under $10 million)
- PCL Glendale Office Buildout: Small Project (under $10 million)
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: Specialty Contracting
- Hyperion Secondary Effluent Pump Station Improvements: Water/Environment
- Temecula Valley Regional Water Reclamation Facility 23 MGD Expansion: Water/Environment
- El Camino Health, Sobrato Pavilion: Safety
- Huntington Beach Energy Project: Safety
- California State Poly Ponoma: Safety
- Alamitos Energy Center: Safety