ENR California's Best Projects 2019: Diverse Mix of Public, Private Work Garners Award
ENR California’s Best Projects competition received many entries representing a spectrum of specialty work from across the region. From a concert hall and an aquarium to a sheriff’s crime lab and a new homeless shelter, the always diverse 54 award-winning projects have one thing in common: excellence.
ENR California received more than 100 entries for this year’s competition, which included work from Northern California and Southern California, which includes Hawaii.
A group of judges representing various specialties and expertise were assembled to review, score and determine the winners for each region. Judges independently reviewed entries and convened with their peers to compare impressions and scores.
Together, the judging panels selected Best Project winners in a range of categories as well as award of merit honorees. Judges were asked to recuse themselves in cases of conflict of interest.
In a separate panel, ENR California’s safety judges considered a project’s overall safety program, OSHA recordable incident rate, lost-time accident rate and total work hours.
ENR California’s Projects of the Year exemplify the entries’ diversity and the breadth of skills, creativity and expertise required to produce structures that stretch design and construction skills and outshine existing norms.
In Northern California, ENR’s judges named the Oroville Spillways Emergency Recovery not only Project of the Year, but also lauded the team’s coordination and care in safely repairing the spillway on the nation’s tallest dam by honoring it with the region’s Excellence in Safety award.
In Southern California, the construction of SeaWorld’s Electric Eel roller coaster thrilled judges with the complex logistics of building a sky-high structure without the use of scaffolding.
ENR California’s 2019 judges are, in alphabetical order by first name:
- Brian Ross, owner, InfraShares Inc.
- David Mori, engineering manager, Public Works Dept., City of Anaheim
- Donald Kahn, project executive, Largo Concrete Inc.
- Doug Conrath, principal, CRB
- Greg Nelson, principal, Altitude Design Office
- Joe DeMel, engineer, Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
- Sean Olcott, Technical Director, Gafcon Inc.
- Surur Sheikh, senior engineer, Bridge and Civil Structures, ARUP
- This year’s independent panel of safety experts included:
- Michael Stelmasek, safety director, Bernards
- Pat Callahan, senior vice president of operations, Hathaway Dinwiddie
ENR California’s Best Projects:
- Oroville Spillways Emergency Recovery: Northern California Project of the Year 2019
- SeaWorld's Electric Eel Roller Coaster: Southern California Project of the Year 2019
- SFO Long-Term Parking Garage 2: Airport/Transit
- United Airlines Terminals 7 & 8 Redevelopment Program at LAX: Airport/Transit
- Southwest Airlines Terminal 1 Redevelopment Program at LAX: Airport/Transit
- Bechtel Family Center for Ocean Education and Leadership: Cultural/Worship
- La Jolla Music Society, The Conrad: Cultural/Worship
- Humboldt Bay Power Plant Decommissioning Project: Energy/Industrial
- Sycamore to Peñasquitos 230kV Transmission Line: Energy/Industrial
- Carlsbad Energy Center: Energy/Industrial; Safety Award of Merit
- P-1132 Communication Information Systems Operations Complex at Camp Pendleton: Government/Public Building
- City of San Diego - Mission Hills - Hillcrest Public Library: Government/Public Building
- California State University Long Beach, College for Professional and International Education: Green Project
- San Diego County Sheriff's Department Crime Laboratory: Green Project
- Sutter Health California Pacific Medical Center Van Ness Campus Hospital Project: Health Care AND Project of the Year Finalist AND Safety Award of Merit
- Spectrum IV / Vertex Pharmaceuticals Research & Development Site: Health Care AND Project of the Year Finalist
- Morris Hyman Critical Care Pavilion: Health Care
- Sacramento State University Union Expansion: Higher Education/Research
- California Institute of Technology, Bechtel Residence: Higher Education/Research; Project of the Year Finalist
- Cal Poly Pomona - Student Services Building: Higher Education/Research
- UCSD Tata Hall: Higher Education/Research
- UCSD/Biomed Realty's Center for Novel Therapeutics: Higher Education/Research
- Marsh Creek Road Bridge Replacement Project: Highway/Bridges
- I-10/Jefferson Street Interchange: Highways/Bridges
- Century Boulevard Extension from Grape Street to Alameda Street: Highway Bridges
- Agri-Industrial Tech Campus Renovation: Interiors/Tenant Improvement
- Paradigm Talent Agency: Interiors/Tenant Improvement
- Lick-Wilmerding High School Campus Expansion and Renovation: K-12 Education
- Culver City Unified School District - Robert Frost Auditorium: K-12 Education
- Albion Riverside Park: Lanscape /Urban Development
- BioLegend | Campus Expansion: Manufacturing
- Direct Relief: Manufacturing
- 240 Lorton: Office/Retail/Mixed-Use
- 888 South Hope: Office/Retail/Mixed-Use
- MVUT (The Casey Brown Co.) - AMP&RSAND: Renovation/Restoration
- Savage and Cooke Distillery: Building 45: Renovation/Restoration
- The Repair and Alternation Tenant Improvement Project at the Edward R. Roybal Federal Building: Manufacturing
- A Bridge Home Shelter at Schrader: Residential/Hospitality
- 288 Pacific: Residential/Hospitality
- House of Light: Residential/Hospitality
- The Oasis at Death Valley – Renovation and Modernization: Residential/Hospitality
- Berkeley Hills Tunnels Lining Surface Treatment: Small Project (under $10 million)
- City of El Cajon - El Cajon Animal Shelter: Small Project (under $10 million)
- Webcor Headquarters Renovation: Small Project (under $10 million)
- Slauson/Overhill Facade Improvement Project: Small Project (under $10 million)
- Google Bay View Campus: Specialty Contracting
- Water Quality Laboratory: Specialty Contracting
- New Construction Ferry Terminal: Specialty Contracting
- San Jose State University Student Recreation and Aquatic Center: Sports/Entertainment
- Confidential Entertainment Project: Sports/Entertainment
- Haiwee Power Plant Penstock Replacement Project: Water/Environment
- Calaveras Dam Replacement Project:Water/Environment
- North Valley Regional Recycled Water Program: Water/Environment
- Digester Gas Utilization Project: Water/Environment