The Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Associated Builders and Contractors honored exceptional efforts in merit shop construction while celebrating the construction industry as a whole during its 14th annual Excellence in Construction (EIC) Awards held Oct. 16 in Denver.
In keeping with the “Back to the Future” theme of the evening, the event kicked off with a past presidents’ reception, with 10 past ABC Rocky Mountain Chapter presidents in attendance. Bob Piper of Piper Electric was inducted as the newest Lifetime Chapter Member, recognizing his many years of dedication to training and workforce development.
During Piper’s tenure with ABC, he served in several leadership roles, both at the chapter and national levels. Piper was instrumental in developing many of the workforce development and training programs still in existence at the chapter today. Piper served as chapter chairman of the board in 2000 and also chaired the board of the Construction Industry Training Council of Colorado for two years.
EIC Awards Program
The Excellence in Construction program provides ABC member general contractors and specialty contractors with a forum to showcase projects that are the best representation of their work. Any project completed within the last two years by an ABC member in good standing is eligible to compete. More than 200 attendees from the construction industry gathered to celebrate this year’s EIC achievements.
Awards entries were judged by a panel of seven industry experts: Kira Chaffee, Holland Construction; Kevin Eronimous, Shears Adkins Rockmore Architects and past AIA Colorado president; Kelly Hedlund, Armstrong World Industries; David Lewis, S.A. Miro Inc.; Ed Logsdon, D.L. Adams Associates; Brad Tonkin, American Gypsum; and Angela Van Do, Boulder Associates and 2015 AIA Colorado president.
Judging criteria included factors such as complexity, unusual challenges or problems overcome, innovative techniques or programs, value engineering, safety records, and owner satisfaction.
The Award of Excellence was presented to first-place winners, Award of Merit to second-place winners and Letter of Commendation to third-place winners. Projects that received Award of Excellence or Merit awards are eligible to compete in ABC National’s Excellence in Construction Awards.
- Hensel Phelps, Ft. Carson Hangar — Federal Government/Military: $10 million - $100 million.
- Milender White Construction Co. — Lenoir Landing Tower, Other Construction: Less than $2 million.
- Adolfson & Peterson Construction, Lake County High School Addition and Renovations — Institutional: $10 million to $25 million.
- TIC-The Industrial Co., Goldstrike T.C.M. Leach Project — Mega Projects: More than $100 million.
- Greiner Electric, zColo, Electrical — Industrial: Less than $2 million.
- LEI Cos. Inc., The Art Hotel — Electrical/Commercial: $2 million - $10 million.
- Encore Electric, Saint Joseph Hospital Heritage Project — Electrical - All Projects: More than $10 million.
- Duro Electric, The Action Center — Community/Public Service.
- RK Mechanical Inc., DIA South Terminal Expansion — Mechanical - All Projects: More than $10 million.
- Spacecon Specialty Contractors, DIA South Terminal Redevelopment Program — Interiors.
- FCI Constructors Inc., Avalon Theatre Addition and Renovation — Historical Restoration/Renovation: Less than $25 million.
- HITT Contracting, Addenbrooke Classical Academy — Institutional: Less than $5 million.
- Mortenson Construction, The New Saint Joseph Hospital — Mega Projects: More than $100 million.
- Northern Electric, CC&V High Grade Mill — Electrical – All Projects: More than $10 million.
- MTech Mechanical, International Broadcasting Center at the 2015 F.I.S. Alpine World Ski Championships — Mechanical - All Projects: More than $10 million.
- MTech Mechanical, University of Colorado Boulder Campus Utility System Upgrade— Mechanical - Commercial: $2 - $10 million.
- RK Steel, Philip S. Miller Park — Other Specialty Construction – Commercial: Less than $10 million.
Special Recognition Awards
- Excellence in Marketing Award. This award recognizes the person who put together what the judges considered the best application binder: Keri Burson of Adolfson & Peterson Construction, Lake County High School Addition and Renovations.
- Design Build Award. LEI Cos. Inc., The Art Hotel.
Free Enterprise Award. This award recognizes the company that used the most ABC members on its project. This year there were two winners: LEI Cos. Inc., The Art Hotel; and Milender White Construction Co., Lenoir Landing Tower.