ABC Rocky Mountain Chapter Presents 2016 Excellence in Construction Awards
The Rocky Mountain Chapter of ABC honored exceptional efforts in merit shop construction while celebrating the entire construction industry during the 15th annual Excellence in Construction (EIC) Awards held Oct. 21 at The Four Seasons Hotel Denver.
The Excellence in Construction awards program provides ABC-member general contractors and specialty contractors with a forum to showcase their best recent projects. Any project completed within the last two years by an ABC member in good standing was eligible for the competition. More than 180 attendees from the construction industry gathered to celebrate the winning projects.
A panel of 9 industry experts judged the 24 award submissions. They are: David Bellomo, Kawneer; Kira Chaffee, Holland Construction; Paul Harter, Aqua-Hot Heating Systems Inc.; Kelly Hedlund, Armstrong World Industries; Jake Hallauer, Chrisland Real Estate Cos.; Travis Hossfeld, Stafford Construction Services Inc.; Don Larsen, NAVA Real Estate Development; Liz Newman, McCauley Constructors and Angela Van Do, Boulder Associates.
Awards criteria included factors such as complexity, unusual challenges or problems overcome, innovative techniques or programs, value-engineering, safety records and owner satisfaction.
The Award of Excellence is awarded to first-place winners, Award of Merit is awarded to second-place winners and Letter of Commendation to third-place winners. Projects that received Awards of Excellence or Merit are eligible to compete in ABC National’s Excellence in Construction Awards.
- FCI Constructors Inc.: TIC Training Center and Offices, Commercial category: $10 million - $25 million
- Milender White: Rose Andom Center, Community / Public Service category
- TIC-The Industrial Co.: EPE Montana Units 3 & 4, Industrial category: $25 million - $100 million
- Roche Constructors Inc.: Emily Griffith Technical College Shops Relocation, Institutional category, $5 million - $10 million
- Adolfson & Peterson Construction: City of Aurora Public Safety Training Center (CAPSTC), Institutional category: $10 million - $25 million
- Mortenson Construction, MHS Tri-Venture (Mortenson, Hunt, Saunders): Denver International Airport Hotel and Transit Center, Mega-projects category
- MTech Mechanical: Amazon Sortation Center - DEN5, Mechanical: Commercial category, $2 million - $10 million
- Kuck Mechanical Contractors: Metro Northern Treatment Plant, Mechanical: Industrial category, less than $10 million
- MTech Mechanical, Craig Hospital Expansion and Renovation, Mechanical: All Projects category, more than $10 million
- Douglass Colony Group: 1401 Lawrence, Exteriors category
- Greiner Electric LLC, ISO 6 Level Clean Room, Electrical: Commercial category, $2 million - $10 million
- RK Steel, Foothills Mall Shopping Center, Other Specialty Construction: Commercial category, less than $10 million
- Hensel Phelps: Federico F. Pena Southwest Family Health Center and Urgent Care, Health care category, $10 million - $25 million
- Mortenson Construction: Woodward Inc. Industrial Turbomachinery Systems Building, Mega-projects
- RK Mechanical: 250 Columbine, Mechanical: Commercial category, $2 million - $10 million
- RK Mechanical Special Projects: 1201 Auraria Renovation, Mechanical: Commercial category, $2 million - $10 million
- Spacecon Specialty Contractors: MorningStar at RidgeGate, Other Specialty Construction: Commercial category, less than $10 million
- Douglass Colony Group, CODA Apartments (100 Steele), Other Specialty Construction: Commercial category, less than $10 million
- Douglass Colony Group, VA Replacement Hospital, Other Specialty Construction: Commercial category, more than $10 million
Special Recognition Awards
- Excellence in Marketing Award: This award recognizes the person who put together what the judges considered the best application binder. Tania Landauer of Adolfson & Peterson Construction, City of Aurora Public Safety Training Center.
- Design-Build Award: Douglass Colony Group, 1401 Lawrence Street.
- Special Recognition for a LEED Project: Douglass Colony Group, VA Replacement Hospital
- Free Enterprise Award: This award recognizes the company that used the most ABC members on its project. This year Milender White won for the Rose Andom Center, with 29 ABC members working on the project.