Hey, big spender.
Once again, ENR New York is looking at the largest projects in terms of price that began construction in the Empire State and New Jersey in the last calendar year. The results will be our list of Top Starts of 2017.
We’re considering construction valued at $100 million or more. There will be new buildings and renovations and reuses of old ones. We’ll highlight infrastructure to artistic endeavors. Still other projects will jettison energy and health care into the 21st century.
Top Starts is the result of more data research than some of our other survey-based rankings. Today we have a preliminary list as we continue to refine it, adding or subtracting projects as we get more information. In fact, if your firm started construction on any projects in 2017 that aren’t cited below, and that had overall cost of $100 million or more, please email me by Feb. 9 at firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
The final Top Starts will publish in the March 19-26, 2018, edition of ENR New York.
Here are a few dozen projects, in alphabetical order, on our preliminary list:
- 9 DeKalb Avenue (formerly 340 Flatbush Avenue extension), Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Arkwright Summit Wind Farm, Fredonia, N.Y.
- Atlantic Bridge pipeline project, Ramapo, N.Y., to Lambertville, N.J.
- Brearley School academic building
- Brooklyn Point City Point Tower 3, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Camden Partners office tower and parking garage, Camden, N.J.
- Copenhagen Wind Farm and power lines
- Cricket Valley Energy Center natural gas power plant, Dover Plains, N.Y.
- Domino Sugar Factory redevelopment (mixed use building site A), Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Farley Train Hall redevelopment Moynihan Station, New York, N.Y.
- Gowanus Canal superfund site, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino conversion/renovation, Atlantic City, N.J.
- I-95 Scudder Falls Toll Bridge replacement, Ewing, N.J., to Makefield, Pa.
- Inspira Medical Center Mullica Hill, Glassboro, N.J.
- Jacob K. Javits Convention Center expansion (design/build), New York, NY
- Kennedy Health Hospital acute care pavilion, Cherry Hill, N.J.
- LaGuardia Airport terminal replacements, Queens, N.Y.
- Lexington Gardens II mixed use building, New York, NY
- LG Electronics corporate headquarters, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Mid Day Storage Yard for East Side Access Project, Long Island City, N.Y.
- Mid-Manhattan Library Schwarzman Building renovations, New York, N.Y.
- NJDOT (New Jersey Department of Transportation)
- North River WWTP Cogeneration and Electrification (wastewater treatment plant)
- NYCHA (New York City Housing Authority), Fulton Houses, Carey Gardens, Gowanus Houses, Red Hook E & W Houses
- Ocean Dreams mixed use building, Coney Island, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Red Hoek Point, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Rockefeller Logistics Building, phase 1, Piscataway, N.J.
- Sands Constellation Center for Critical Care tower, Rochester, N.Y.
- Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Outpatient Treatment Facility, Uniondale, N.Y.
- Stockton University dorms and academic buildings (part of Gateway) Atlantic City $110M, Atlantic City, N.J.
- The Hub at Harrison, Harrison, N.J.
- The Kartrite (hotel and indoor water park), Monticello, N.Y.
- Union College Science and Engineering Center, Schenectady, N.Y.
- Vessel at Hudson Yards, New York, N.Y.
- Westchester Medical Center (WMC) Ambulatory Care Pavilion, Valhalla, N.Y.
- Zipper Building, New York, N.Y.