ABC Rocky Mountain Chapter Members Win Several National Awards
ABC Rocky Mountain Chapter recently announced that 12 member companies won national awards during the Associated Builders and Contractors’ 26th annual Excellence in Construction Awards celebration held in March in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
“Hard work and determination were recognized and honored in front of our peers and colleagues,” said Mark Latimer, ABC President & CEO. “The chapter, our members and our crafts professionals were recognized for excellence in numerous award categories.”
ABC Rocky Mountain Chapter (RMC) recognitions included:
- Membership Excellence: Retention and growth
- Award for second highest percentage of contractor participation in Safety Training and Evaluation Process (STEP)
- Highest percentage of contractors participating in STEP for Mountain West Region.
Eagle Award Winners
- Adolfson & Peterson Construction: Institutional - $10 million to $25 million, Lake County High School Addition and Renovations, Leadville
- TIC – The Industrial Co., Over $200 million, Goldstrike TCM Leach Project, Carlin, Nev.
- Milender White Construction Co.: Other construction – Less than $2 million, Lenoir Landing Tower, Gilbertown, Ala.
- Duro Electric Co.: Community / Public Service (SC), The Action Center, Lakewood
- Spacecon Specialty Contractors: Acoustical, Drywall, Millwork or Plaster, Denver International Airport South Terminal Redevelopment Program, Denver
Pyramid Award Winners
- Mortenson Construction: Mega Projects – Over $200 million, New Saint Joseph Hospital, Denver
- RK Mechanical: Mechanical, Denver International Airport Westin Hotel, Denver
- MTech Mechanical: Mechanical - Commercial – Less than $2 million, International Broadcasting Center at the 2015 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships, Beaver Creek, Colo.
Safety Excellence Winners
Pinnacle, excellence and merit National Safety Awards are awarded to companies with best-in-class safety records with pinnacle being the top level of awards, followed by excellence and merit.
- Northern Electric Inc., Thornton
- LPR Construction Co., Loveland
- Pinkard Construction Co., Lakewood
National Diversity Winners
The ABC National Diversity Excellence Awards program recognizes members that display exemplary diversity leadership in their workforce, supply chain and community with best-in-class recruitment policies, retention practices and training and mentoring programs.
- Hensel Phelps, General Contractor, over $33 million
- United Rentals, Supplier & Associate
National Craft Championships
A field of more than 200 craft trainees competed for top honors in 15 competitions representing 13 crafts. • Bronze Winner: Welding – Structural: Thomas Emery, LPR Construction Co.
- Bryan McClure of LPR Construction Co. and Dan Sterry, TIC-The Industrial Co. were also named finalists for the Craft Instructor of the Year Award.
“I am amazed by the scope and quality of the Excellence in Construction projects, from manufacturing plants and museums to bridges and ball parks,” said 2016 ABC National Chair David Chapin, president of Willmar Electric Service, Lincoln, Neb. “Our winners overcame challenges like bad weather, site constraints and compressed schedules. They built it on time and on budget. And they kept their people safe. That’s how ABC members build America.”
The awards honor all construction team members, including the contractor, owner, architect and engineer. The winning projects, selected from entries submitted from across the nation, were judged on complexity, attractiveness, unique challenges overcome, completion time, workmanship, innovation, safety and cost.
A panel of industry experts served as the competition’s judges.
This year’s panel included representatives from the Design-Build Institute of America, Engineering News-Record, the Construction Users Roundtable and the National Association of Women in Construction and higher education.