ENR Texas & Louisiana’s 2019 Best Projects Honor Construction’s Finest
Jurors combed through 132 entries in this year’s ENR Texas & Louisiana Best Projects competition, representing work completed over the past year in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas.
To determine the winning projects, a group of independent industry experts reviewed each entry over the course of a month, ultimately selecting 34 projects across 18 categories, including 17 Best Projects and 17 awards of merit. These projects were completed between July 1, 2017, and June 30, 2018.
The region’s 17 Best Projects winners will now advance to the national level, competing with winners from ENR’s nine other regions to be considered for ENR’s Best of the Best awards.
The criteria judges used to evaluate these projects included project challenges and solutions as well as safety programs, innovative design and construction solutions. Also considered were a project’s contribution to the construction industry and community as well as design quality and construction craftsmanship. Any projects that had a construction-related death were immediately disqualified.
To avoid conflicts of interest, if a judge worked for a firm directly involved in a submitted project, that panelist did not participate in the scoring for that category.
Judges also selected a Project of the Year for the region, chosen from the following three finalists: Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral (Best Project in the cultural/worship category), Gathering Place (Best Project for landscape/urban development) and The Rendon Apartments (Best Project for residential/hospitality).
In addition, four safety experts reviewed more than 70 entries for the region’s Excellence in Safety award, selecting one overall winner and five award of merit winners. Among the safety judging criteria were lost-time and recordable incident rates versus total worker hours along with execution and quality of jobsite-specific safety and health programs.
Each winning project team will be honored at an awards luncheon in Houston on Oct. 29.
- ENR Texas & Louisiana Project of the Year 2019: Multifaceted Park Adds Up To a Singular Attraction
- Best Airport/Transit/Award of Merit Excellence in Safety: Ellington Airport Air Traffic Control Tower and Utility Building
- Award of Merit Airport/Transit: Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport Terminal B Commuter Rail Station
- Project of the Year Nominee/Best Cultural/Worship: Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral
- Award of Merit Cultural/Worship: Sydney and Walda Sculpture Garden Expansion at the New Orleans Museum of Art
- Best Energy/Industrial: Terrebonne to Bayou Vista Transmission Upgrade
- Award of Merit Energy/Industrial: Stella Wind Farm
- Best Government/Public Building: Laredo 1 & 2 Ports of Entry
- Award of Merit Government/Public Building: Harris County Emergency Services District 9 Four Cy-Fair Fire Stations
- Award of Merit Government/Public Building: Harris County Joint County/City Processing Center
- Best Health Care: Houston Methodist Hospital Walter Tower
- Award of Merit Health Care: Medical City Dallas Women’s and Children’s Hospital Expansion
- Best Higher Education/Research: Texas A&M University Higher Education Center at McAllen
- Award of Merit Higher Education/Research: Texas A&M University- Texarkana, Building for Academic and Student Services
- Excellence in Safety Award: Nicholson Gateway Development
- Excellence in Safety Award of Merit: Brinker International
- Excellence in Safety Award of Merit: OXEA 2019 BuOH Spring Outage
- Excellence in Safety Award of Merit: St. Agnes Performing Arts Center
- Excellence in Safety Award of Merit: Texas A&M Davis Diamond Softball Stadium
- Best Highway/Bridge: North Tarrant Express 35W
- Best Interior/Tenant Improvement: Four Seasons Hotel Modernization
- Best K-12 Education: Fort Worth Independent School District - I. M. Terrell Academy for STEM and VPA
- Award of Merit K-12 Education: Isidore Newman School Science and Technology Building
- Award of Merit K-12 Education: Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts
- Award of Merit Manufacturing: Andrews Distributing
- Best Office/Retail/Mixed-Use: Frost Tower
- Best Renovation/Restoration: St. Stephen Church Historical Renovation
- Award of Merit Renovation/Restoration: 640 Magazine Street Apartments
- Project of the Year Nominee/Best Residential/Hospitality: The Rendon Apartments
- Award of Merit Residential/Hospitality: Skyloft
- Best Small Project (under $10 million): Houston Methodist Clear Lake Central Utility Plant Expansion
- Award of Merit Small Project (under $10 million): Trail Bridge at Congress Avenue
- Best Specialty Construction: MFAH Glassell School of Art
- Award of Merit Specialty Construction: Houston Methodist Hospital Walter Tower
- Best Sports/Entertainment: The University of Houston Fertitta Center
- Award of Merit Sports/Entertainment: The Epic
- Best Water/Environment: Garland Biosolids Rehabilitation and Odor Control
- Award of Merit Water/Environment: Lubbock Pump Station No. 10
- Award of Merit Water/Environment: City of Pearland Reflection Bay Water Reclamation Facility Expansion