Southeast 2018 Best Projects Awards Highlight Industry's 'Best'
The “biggest” project doesn’t always carry the day in ENR Southeast’s annual Best Projects contest. True, a project’s sizable scope can easily impress, but mostly it’s a design and construction team’s outstanding management, execution and attention to detail that capture the attention of judges as they hand out the major awards.
A case in point is this year’s Project of the Year, the Cade Museum for Creativity and Invention in Gainesville, Fla. After earning a Best Projects award in the small project category, the complex facility went on to beat out other, larger projects for this year’s top prize. The achievement marks the first time that a small project has gone on to claim the Project of the Year prize.
And while relatively “small” in size, the project’s challenges were daunting. From the project’s location on a brownfield site to the museum’s unusual shape and layout, this year’s judges were impressed with the details of how the Oelrich Construction-led team managed to meet the demands that the Cade Museum presented.
Beyond the Project of the Year, impressive construction and design achievements abound. One of the most impressive achievements was delivered by the Kiewit-led team that built the Allen Combined-Cycle Plant—a project that’s on the other end of the size scale from Cade. In addition to winning in the energy/industrial category, the project also took home the Excellence in Safety award. The massive project logged more than 2.7 million work-hours without a single lost-time incident—an achievement that is definitely worthy of industry recognition.
ENR Southeast would like to offer its sincere thanks to this year’s judges, who included: Jamie Breme with Fluor Corp.; Keith Douglas of Whiting-Turner; Baker Glasgow, Clancy Theys Construction; Pam Little, Pond & Co.; Ray Riddle, Holder Construction; and Daniel Whiteman, Coastal Construction. Additionally, a separate panel of safety experts reviewed projects nominated for our safety award. These judges included Jeffrey Ruebesam of Fluor and Deborah Hampton of Odebrecht.
The following pages offer details from all Best Projects and award of merit winners.
- Project of the Year: Cade Museum of Creativity and Invention
- Small Project Award of Merit: Southern First Bank
- Energy/Industrial Best Project and Excellence in Safety Award Winner: Allen Combined-Cycle Plant
- Excellence in Safety, Award of Merit: Picayune Strand Restoration, Miller Pump Station
- Excellence in Safety, Award of Merit: Great Wolf Lodge
- Airport/Transit Best Project: South Airport APM Complex at Orlando International Airport
- Airport/Transit Award of Merit: CATS/LYNX Blue Line Extension
- Airport/Transit Award of Merit: Tampa International Airport Rental Car Center and SkyConnect APM
- Airport/Transit Award of Merit: Orlando International Airport Intermodal Facility
- Cultural/Worship Best Project: Cathedral of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
- Government/Public Building Best Project: Fourth District Court of Appeal, New Courthouse and Parking Garage
- Health Care Best Project: Emory University Hospital J-Wing Patient Tower Expansion
- Health Care Award of Merit: Golisano Children's Hospital
- Health Care Award of Merit: Grandview Cancer Center
- Higher Education/Research Best Project: Georgia Tech West Village Dining Commons
- Higher Education/Research Best Project: Davidson College - E. Craig Wall Jr. Academic Center
- Higher Education/Research Award of Merit: Wofford College Rosalind Sallenger Richardson Center for the Arts
- Higher Education/Research Award of Merit: Rubenstein Arts Center
- Highway/Bridge Best Project: Wilmington Bypass
- Highway/Bridge Best Project: Fort Hamer Bridge
- Highway/Bridge Award of Merit: #WeHeartPR
- Interior Design/Tenant Improvement Best Project: Suffolk's Miami Smart Lab Fitout
- Interior Design/Tenant Improvement Award of Merit: NCR Global Headquarters
- Interior Design/Tenant Improvement Award of Merit: Comcast Division Headquarters
- K-12 School: Horry County Schools, Four New Middle Schools - One New Elementary School
- K-12 School Award of Merit: Rockbridge Elementary
- K-12 School Award of Merit: Largo High School
- Landscaping/Urban Development Best Project: Driving Economic Growth in South Carolina
- Manufacturing/Industrial: BRIDG
- Manufacturing/Industrial Award of Merit: Mayne Pharma Oral Solid-Dose Commercial Manufacturing Facility
- Office/Retail/Mixed-Use Development Best Project: NBC Universal Telemundo Global HQ
- Office/Retail/Mixed-Use Development Award of Merit: Mercedes-Benz Headquarters
- Office/Retail/Mixed-Use Development Bridgestone Tower
- Renovation/Restoration Best Project: Cordell Hull State Office Building
- Residential/Hospitality Best Project: Perry Lane Hotel
- Residential/Hospitality Award of Merit: Omni Hotel at SunTrust Park
- Residential/Hospitality Award of Merit: The Inn at Barnsley Resort
- Specialty Construction Best Project: Ononee Nuclear Station Feedwater Heater Replacements
- Sports/Entertainment Best Project: Daily's Place and Covered Flex Field
- Sports/Entertainment Award of Merit: Wofford College Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium
- Sports/Entertainment Award of Merit: Emory Sports Medicine Center
- Water/Environmental Best Project: Mile Point Training Wall Reconfiguration