ABC Presents 2013 Excellence in Construction Awards
The Rocky Mountain Chapter of ABC honored exceptional efforts in merit shop construction while celebrating the region’s construction industry during the 12th annual Excellence in Construction (EIC) Awards on Oct. 18 at The Four Seasons Hotel Denver.
The EIC Awards provide ABC-member general contractors and specialty contractors a forum to showcase their best recent work. The ABC Rocky Mountain Chapter’s EIC awards competition is patterned after ABC National’s EIC program and is the first step for projects to compete at the national level.
A panel of seven industry experts judged the 21 award submissions: Brad Tonkin, director of sales, American Gypsum; Bruce Mauner, senior architect and principal, TechniScan Inc., Davis & Associates Architects; John Shaw, president, McWhinney; Kelly Hedlund, architectural and contract sales manager, Armstrong World Industries; Kira Chaffee, associate project manager, Holland Construction Inc. and Denver NAWIC #112 president; Mike Wisneski, architect and project manager, Michael Wisneski Architect LLC and 2013 AIA Colorado president; Spenser Villwock, CEO of Independent Electrical Contractors – Rocky Mountain.
Awards criteria included factors such as complexity, unusual challenges or problems overcome, innovative techniques or programs, value engineering, safety records and owner satisfaction. Any project completed before Oct. 15, 2013 by an ABC member in good standing was eligible for consideration.
• Other Specialty Construction, less than $10 million: Douglass Colony Group, Castle Rock Adventist Hospital
• Exteriors: Douglass Colony Group, DaVita World Headquarters
• Electrical-Commercial, less than $2 million: Greiner Electric LLC, Colorado Academy Upper School
• Electrical-Industrial, $2 million-$10 million: LEI Cos. Inc., FasTracks West Corridor Stations and Parking
• Residential-Multifamily and condominium projects up to $100 million: Milender White Construction Co., Tapiz at Mariposa
• Mega projects-more than $100 million: Mortenson Construction, Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center
• Mechanical-more than $10 million: MTech Mechanical Technologies Group Inc., National Renewable Energy Laboratory Energy Systems Integration Facility
• Institutional: $10-$25 million: Shaw Construction LLC, The Matthew & Carolyn Bucksbaum Campus
• Interiors: Spacecon Specialty Contractors LLC, Castle Rock Adventist Health Campus