ENR New York has named Thornton Tomasetti the region's Design Firm of the Year.
The New York City-based company provides services in structural, façade and construction engineering; protective design; transportation; sustainability; applied science; forensics; property loss consulting; and renovation. Its big mission is innovation and best practices therein, so much so that CEO Tom Scarangello wants to spearhead best practices in innovation among New York City firms and beyond, and to create databases and other methods for the industry to share knowledge and the latest technologies and methods.
The firm also posted 2.5% revenue growth in 2017 over 2016 for New York and New Jersey. Among Thornton Tomasetti's recent local projects, the Vessel in Manhattan is likely the flashiest, a 16-level structure of staircases still under construction that looks like that one Escher painting come to life.
Meanwhile, we're still accepting Top Design Firm surveys. The May 14-21, 2018, issue of ENR New York will include our annual Top Design Firms rankings and a profile on the Design Firm of the Year. Rankings are based on detailed data sets that engineering, architecture and other design companies provide to us. Each year, the main ranking is based on the total regional revenues of participating firms' design services. Additional orderings of state-by-state revenues, design specialties and disciplines include top-ranked firms only.
The survey deadline is April 26, 2018.
Here’s our preliminary list of Top Design Firms in alphabetical order:
- Arcadis North America, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
- Collins Engineers PC, Watervliet, N.Y.
- C&S Companies, Syracuse, N.Y.
- CTA Architects PC, New York City
- Dattner Architects, New York City
- Dennis Group, Springfield, Massachusetts
- D&B Engineers and Architects PC, Woodbury, NY
- DMR Architects, Hasbrouck Heights, N.J.
- EMCOR Group, Norwalk, Connecticut
- Erdman Anthony, Rochester, N.Y.
- Fogarty Finger Architecture, New York City
- Greenman-Pedersen Inc. (GPI), Babylon, N.Y.
- Hardesty & Hanover, New York City
- Highland Associates, New York City
- HKS Architects PC, New York City
- Jacob Feinberg Katz & Michaeli Consulting Group, New York City
- JRS Architect PC, Mineola, N.Y.
- Kimley-Horn of New York PC, New York City
- Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates PC, New York City
- Langan, Parsippany, N.J.
- Lothrop Associates LLP Architects, White Plains, N.Y.
- McLaren Engineering Group, New York City
- Michael Baker International, Pittsburgh
- MP Engineers PC, New York City
- M+W Group, Albany, N.Y.
- OBG, Syracuse, N.Y.
- OLA Consulting Engineers, Hawthorne, N.Y.
- PS&S, Warren, N.J.
- Robert A.M. Stern Architects, New York City
- Scott Mahaffey Architect, New York City
- SEI Design Group, Rochester, N.Y.
- Shenoy Engineering PC, Pine Brook, N.J.
- Superstructures Engineers & Architects, New York City
- SWBR Architecture, Rochester, N.Y.
- SWCA Environmental Consultants, Amherst, Massachusetts
- Tectonic Engineering & Surveying Consultants PC, Mountainville, N.Y.
- Vanderweil Engineers, New York City
- VHB, New York City
- Vocon, New York City
- Wiss, Janey, Elstner Associates, New York City
- WSP USA, New York City
- Zyscovich Architects, New York City