AIA Colorado West Presents 2016 Design Awards
On August 26, the American Institute of Architects Colorado West area component presented local architectural firms with a 2016 Design Award during the annual AIA Colorado West Design Awards event held in Glenwood Springs.
“We are extremely proud of this year’s design award honorees,” said Cathy Rosset, executive vice president and CEO of AIA Colorado. “Their accomplishments are reflective of the highest standards of professionalism, integrity and competence, and each contribute to the built environment surrounding us every day.”
This year’s honorees and their respective awards are:
- Studio B Architects, Aspen, and Cuningham Group Architecture, Denver – Award of Excellence for the Aspen Community School in Woody Creek – Commercial/Institutional category
- Rowland + Broughton Architecture / Urban Design / Interior Design, Aspen – Award of Excellence for Black Magic in Aspen – Residential, Less than $1 million category
- CCY Architects, Basalt – Merit Award for Woody Creek House in Snowmass – Residential, More than $1 million category
- CCY Architects, Basalt – Merit Award for Meadow | House in Snowmass – Unbuilt / Non-commissioned category
- Rowland + Broughton Architecture/Urban Design/Interior Design, Aspen – Honorable Mention for Honor Society in Denver, Commercial / Institutional category
- RGS Architecture, Aspen – Honorable Mention for Private Guest Residence in Aspen – Residential, More than $1 million category
- David Marlow, Staff Photographer for Architectural Digest – Honor Award for Contribution to the Built Environment by a Non-Architect
- Dean Brookie, Durango – Honor Award for Community Service by an Architect
AIA Colorado West also recognized 34 individuals as citizen architects, acknowledging those who “contribute meaningfully, beyond self, to the improvement of the community and human condition.”
AIA members named citizen architects include Jamie Brewster McLeod, Charles Cunniffe, Richard Walterscheid, Heidi Hoffman, Willis Pember, Glenn Rappaport, David Hauter, Patrick Stuckey, Daniel Gartner, Alicia Davis, Jody Reeser, Dean Brookie, Michael Olsen, Brent K. Alm, Hans Berglund, Kyle Webb, Ann Darby, Beth Levine, John Martin, Bill Pierce, Michael Current, Lauren Ford, Jack Snow, Adam Harrison, Ryan Wolffe and Scott Turnipseed.
Other citizen architects recognized were Jeff Berkus, Melissa Brandrup, James Buckner, Steve Eccher, Scott Smith, Brian West, Luke Trujillo and Dean Koll.
The 2016 Jury Chair for the Colorado West Design Awards was Lawrence Speck of PageSoutherlandPage. Speck is well known for his diverse portfolio of award-winning architecture, including the Austin Convention Center and Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, as well as his distinguished career as an inspiring educator.
From 1992 to 2001, Speck served as dean of the School of Architecture at the University of Texas at Austin, where he has been a member of the faculty since 1975.
In 1999 he joined PageSoutherlandPage, where he is now one of five principals. The 450-person firm has offices in Houston, Denver, Dallas, Austin and Washington, D.C.
In 2009 the firm received the Texas Society of Architects’ Architecture Firm Award and was nominated by the AIA Committee on Design for the national AIA Firm Award.