Four Regional Projects Earn National DBIA Awards
The Design-Build Institute of America recently announced its 19th annual Design-Build Project/Team Award Winners. Four Mountain States projects made the winners’ list: the Wayne N. Aspinall Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in Grand Junction, Colo.; the Kittredge West and Kittredge Central Residence Halls in Boulder, Colo.; the rehab of Denver Union Station into a transit hub and the Utah Transit Authority’s $96-million Draper Light Rail Extension, which extends from the end of the existing North-South TRAX Line in Sandy, Utah.
Recognized for exemplary collaboration and integration in design-build project delivery, the award winners were evaluated by a distinguished panel of industry experts. The selected projects demonstrate Design-Build Done Right through excellence in design, process and teaming, in addition to achieving budget and schedule goals and exceeding owner expectations.
The 2014 Design-Build Project/Team Awards showcase design-build best practices and celebrate the achievements of owners and design-build teams in nine categories across the spectrum of horizontal and vertical construction. These categories include: aviation, civic buildings, commercial/office buildings, industrial/process/research facilities, educational facilities, health-care facilities, rehabilitation / renovation / restoration, transportation and water / wastewater.
“This year’s award competition was the most rigorous to date with a greater emphasis on best practices and teamwork, as well as the successful delivery of the project,” said Lisa Washington, executive director/CEO of DBIA. “As a result, the 2014 winners showcase unique applications of design-build best practices to raise the industry’s bar even higher and are shining examples of what can be accomplished through Design-Build Done Right.”
This year, 25 projects in nine categories were awarded National Awards of Merit. One project in each of the nine categories will be named as a National Award of Excellence winner in an awards ceremony during DBIA’s Design-Build Conference and Expo on October 7 in Dallas. In addition, three National Awards of Excellence will be given for design, process and teaming and one project will be honored as Project of the Year.
The 2014 DBIA National Award of Merit winners in each category are:
• The Green Build Contract 1 - San Diego International Airport, Terminal 2 and Airside Expansion, San Diego
• Air Force Technical Application Center (Design-Build Phase I), Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
• FY11 228 PN UEPH Schofield Barracks, Fort Shafter, Oahu, Hawaii
• Governor George Deukmejian Courthouse, Long Beach, Calif.
• Wayne N. Aspinall Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse, Grand Junction, Colo.
• BJC @ The Commons, St. Louis
• Wendell August, Grove City, Pa.
• Caltech Childcare Center, Pasadena, Calif.
• Golisano Institute for Sustainability Research Building, Rochester, N.Y.
• Kittredge West and Kittredge Central Residence Halls, Boulder, Colo.
• Lewis University Science Center Romeoville, Ill.