In July, ENR California announced its 2020 Regional Best Projects award winners. After polling our judges, we are pleased to announce the 2020 finalists for Best Overall Project of the Year.
Because of the large number of entries, ENR California divided the region into two: Northern California and Southern California, which includes Hawaii. To be considered for the Project of the Year award, entries had to first be named a Best Project-level winner in its category.
The Project of the Year winners will be revealed at two separate Best Projects events. The first, for Northern California winners, is scheduled to take place Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2020 in San Francisco at the Julia Morgan Ballroom. The second, for Southern California, is scheduled to be held Friday, Oct. 9, 2020 in downtown Los Angeles at the Omni Hotel.You can register here for the Northern California breakfast and here for the Southern California event.
Listed in alphabetical order are the 2020 Project of the Year finalists for Northern California and Southern California.
Project of the Year Finalist for Northern California (listed in alphabetical order):
- Chase Center Development, submitted by Mortenson | Clark, a joint venture
- New Stanford Hospital, submitted by Clark/McCarthy, a joint venture
- Santa Rosa Junior College Burbank Auditorium Modernization, submitted by ZFA Structural Engineers
Project of the Year Finalist for Southern California (listed in alphabetical order):
- Coast Boulevard Sea Cave Emergency Stabilization, submitted by Flatiron West Inc.
- Long Beach Civic Center, submitted by Clark Construction Group LLC
The Project of the Year is part of ENR’s annual Regional Best Projects competition. Each year, ENR California assembles a group of judges, with varying specialties and expertise in the construction industry, to review, score and form a panel to determine Best Projects winners for the region. Judges independently review entries, score each on pre-specified criteria, and convene with fellow judges to compare impressions and scores. Together, the judges’ panels select honorees for Best Project and Merit awards. (Judges recuse themselves in cases of conflict of interest.)
Thank you to this year’s judges:
- Aaron Yohnke, Vice President & District Manager – Los Angeles, PCL Construction Services Inc.
- Brian Ross, Owner, InfraShares, Inc.
- Caleigh Raymer, Vice President, Director of Operations, Lendlease
- David Mori, Engineering Manager, Public Works Department, City of Anaheim
- Donald Kahn, Project Executive, Largo Concrete, Inc.
- Doug Conrath, Principal, CRB
- Greg Nelson, Principal, Altitude Design Office
- Ingrid Chaires, Senior Building Physics Engineer, Arup
- Kim Scott, Vice President, Business Development & Marketing, Blach Construction
- Red Gayita, Preconstruction Manager: SPD, Swinerton