Months after Massachusetts was slammed by a series of nor'easters, the Commonwealth was granted federal assistance to help with recovery efforts related to the record-breaking storms. The July 19 announcement marked the second federal disaster declaration the state received in as many months. The state is expected to receive a combined $50 million or more for the declarations.
The funding approved on July 19 is available to tribal, and eligible local governments, as well as certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis. The funds will cover emergency work and the repair or replacement of damaged facilities in Essex, Middlesex, Norfolk, Suffolk, and Worcester counties during the March 13-14 storm, according to a statement released by the White House. The funding may cover snow removal and hazard mitigation measures.
Last month's federal declaration covered damage from the March 2-3 winter storm in Barnstable, Bristol, Essex, Nantucket, Norfolk and Plymouth counties.
“We greatly appreciate this federal disaster assistance that will help provide much needed financial support to the cities and towns, state agencies, and non-profits that incurred enormous response, recovery, and repair costs as a result of these powerful storms,” Gov. Charlie Baker said in a statement.
The storms caused widespread power outages across the state, created record snow fall and storm surges that flooded coastal communities across the state's shoreline.
The storms also renewed calls for a massive sea barrier in Boston Harbor that could cost as much as $11 billion. A study released last month said that the sea barrier isn't feasible. The study recommended building a series of small sustainable projects instead.
The nor'easters also caused many design firms to consider climate liability