ENR and Aviation Week co-sponsored Planes, Pains and Payments, an aviation roundtable, on Oct. 6. Almost 30 aviation officials representing federal agencies, airports, vendors, consultants and contractors discussed the crucial challenges facing them now and in the future. Shrinking budgets coupled with increasing infrastructure needs to handle security and traffic demands are requiring all sectors to look for ways to increase revenue and build better, smarter and cheaper.
New developments loom on the taxiway that will affect all American airports. From the FAAs Next Generation Airport Transportation Systems program to microjets, from alternative project delivery solutions to privatization, all involved with operating and expanding airports must be prepared. In-line baggage screening systems, new runways and common-use facilities present ongoing challenges. Branding of airports, concessions planning and parking all present possibilities for revenue. Many called for a change in the policy on passenger facility charges, a crucial factor in current funding of capital programs.
Engineering News-Record/Aviation Week Roundtable Participants:
- Bill Fife, Corporate Vice President, DMJM Harris
- Sam Sleiman, Director, Capital Programs and Environmental Affairs, Massport
- Charlie Isdell, Airport Director, Philadelphia International Airport
- Steve Wareham, Airport Director, Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport
- Deborah Meehan, President and Chief Operating Officer, Simat Helliesen & Eichner, Inc.
- Ricky Smith , Director, Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
- Angela Gittens, Vice President, Airport Business Services, HNTB
- John Kaldeway, President, Greater Toronto Airports Authority
- Steve Pressler, Executive Vice President and Area General Manager, Skanska
- Bruce Drum, Deputy Aviation Director, Miami International Airport
- Rusty Chapman, Acting Deputy Associate Administrator, Federal Aviation Administration
- Bob Cammaroto, Chief of Commercial Airports, Transportation Security Administration
- Ali Dib, Director, Facilities and Infrastructure, Wayne County Airport Authority
- Lester Robinson, CEO, Wayne County Airport Authority
- Allan Shapiro Manager, Transportation and Infrastructure Programs, L-3 Communications
- John Moyer, Vice President, Interspace Airport Advertising
- Joseph DiDomizio, COO, Hudson Group
- David Plavin, Former President Airports Council International-North America
- Trevor Liddle, Program Director New Jersey Airports Modernization Program, Port Authority of NY and NJ
- Loren Smith President, DMJM Aviation
- Alan Stevens, Turner Construction
- Ginger Evans, principal, Carter & Burgess, Inc.