Best of California 2009
• C. Keith Boswell, AIA, director, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
• Wendell Clark, business development director, J.D. Diffenbaugh
• Simin Naaseh, SE, president & CEO, Forell/ Elsesser Engineers Inc.
• Lori Reed, director of marketing and communications, American Institute of Architects, California Council
• Kirsten Ritchie, associate principal/director of sustainable design, Gensler
• David Rova, director of design, HMC Architects
• Greg Stedman, regional vice president, KHS&S Contractors
• Gwen Stone-Garis, vice president, National Association of Women in Construction, San Gabriel Valley Chapter #110
• Peter Tuma, vice president of construction, Taisei Construction
• Phil Varni, district manager, Associated General Contractors of California
• Phil Williams, vice president, Webcor Builders
A panel of 11 judges, representing architects, builders and associations, chose 64 winners among the more than 125 projects submitted for this year’s Best of California program.
The jury, which met in mid-September, awarded points to construction submissions based on criteria, including project management, overcoming challenges of the job, overall excellence in architectural or engineering design, innovation, safety and the contribution to the community and/or the construction industry, among other criteria. This year’s lineup of winning projects are the result of outstanding teams of professionals.
This year, two special statewide honors were also awarded -- Owner of the Year and Contractor of the Year.