Forest City Plans Opening This Month of Presidio Landmark Project
Developer Forest City is planning an opening this month of its Presidio Landmark project, a restoration of a historical building in San Francisco�s national park.
The Presidio Landmark is an adaptive re-use of the six-story, 220,000-sq-ft historic Public Health Service Hospital building � the largest historic landmark in the park. The building is being rehabilitated into 154 high-end rental apartments, including junior one-bedroom, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units ranging from 400 to 1,500 sq ft.
In keeping with its natural setting, The Presidio Landmark incorporates many sustainable features and is seeking LEED gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council. The adjacent Belles Street Townhomes include seven new three-story townhomes and will be LEED platinum.
The project team specializes in adaptive reuse projects. Additionally, the state Historic Preservation Office, National Park Service and Presidio Trust, the building�s owner, provided oversight of the restoration process. The general contractor is Plant Construction Co.; architects are Perkins + Will and Page & Turnbull (historic preservation). The civil engineer is Sherwood Design Engineers, structural engineer is Nabih Youssef Associates and MEP engineer is Donald F. Dickerson Associates.
In 1932, the U.S. Public Health Service Hospital replaced the original wood framed Marine Hospital, located on the Presidio of San Francisco�s southern border at 1801 Wedemeyer Street near 15th Avenue and Lake Street. It is part of the 42-acre Public Health Service District, and is a contributing building to the Presidio National Historic Landmark District. The hospital was closed in 1981. The abandoned building was graffiti strewn and damaged inside and out following its closure. The building was designed originally under the supervision of James Wetmore, an architect at the Treasury Department.
The Presidio Landmark offers the best of all worlds � a park location, thoughtful designs, and services give residents time to focus on what is important to them. A New York style doorman will address resident�s daily needs; ala carte services such as chefs, house cleaners, community supported agriculture, and personal trainers, emphasizing the health and wellness history of the site; as well as lush courtyards and connections to hiking and biking trails, and more. New amenities create a sense of community and provide additional space, such as a private dining room and chef�s kitchen for demonstrations and resident�s use, climate controlled wine storage room with private wine lockers, wine tasting room, fitness center, dedicated yoga/Pilates studio, and massage room.
Units combine modern amenities amid historic designs: Kitchens feature granite countertops, custom wood cabinets with glass panels, under cabinet lighting and energy star rated stainless-steel Jenn-Air or KitchenAid kitchen appliances. Bathrooms feature water efficient Kohler fixtures, dual flush toilets, Carrera Marble countertops, glass shower enclosures and porcelain floor tiles.
Forest Stewardship Council certified Pollmeier wood flooring throughout living areas.
Sustainable features include:
� It�s an adaptive re-use of an existing building the ultimate form of recycling. The adaptive re-use results in about 75% less greenhouse gas impacts than resulting from a conventional new construction.
� At least 90% of all the waste generated in the construction of was recycled instead of taken to a landfill, which reduced the demand for natural resources.
� Units include water saving dual flush toilets, low flow showerheads and bathroom faucets that will help conserve over 1.5 million gallons of water per year; Energy Star Appliances and energy efficient light fixtures were used throughout the building to lower overall energy use. All carpets, paints and sealants used on the renovation contain no or low VOC to promote better indoor air quality.
� Restores brick, limestone and terra cotta exteriors, including replacing 20,000 bricks, reintroducing Indiana limestone to restore areas of the fa�ade and windows altered by the �wings.� In some areas, Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer molds were used to provide exact replicas of exterior molding.
� Restores nearly 700 historic wood windows and decorative elements like the limestone anchor and medical symbol on the entry fa�ade.