Building code development has finally entered the digital age. On Nov. 15, the International Code Council began activating its online, cloud-based tool crafted to improve ICC’s building code development process and open it up to many more parties.
Soon, the tool, called cdpACCESS, will allow remote participation in code development from a computer or tablet, when attendance at ICC hearings is not possible.
Since Nov. 15, cdpACCESS™ allows participants to create and submit code change proposals online. (Code change proposals for ICC Group C for the International Green Construction Code are due by Jan. 10.)
In the coming weeks, ICC is adding other functions to the tool, based on the steps in the code development process. These will include:
• Online collaboration with one or many colleagues;
• Ability to view, download and print the code change agenda;
• Online submittal of “floor” modifications at the committee action hearing (CAH);
• Online vote on assembly floor motions following the CAH;
• Ability to view, download and print the CAH report;
• Online creation and submittal of public comments to CAH results;
• Ability to view, download and print the public comment agenda;
• Online vote on proposed code changes/public comments following the public comment hearing.