Airports, Culture Projects Dominate Region’s Awards
ENR New York’s Best Projects 2019 contest recognized projects ranging from airport improvements to vapor extraction—a way to remove contaminants from soil—throughout New York and New Jersey.
Four airport projects in both states won awards. In the airport/transit category, Elmira-Corning Regional Airport’s terminal revitalization won Best Project and Newark Liberty Airport’s aviation fuel system modifications garnered an award of merit. LaGuardia Airport’s Concourse B food court was named Best Project for interior/tenant improvement; the airport’s new Eastern Concourse, meanwhile, received top honors for Excellence in Safety.
The most technically named project, Thermally Enhanced Soil Vapor Extraction / Bioremediation at Former Chemical Plant, was also among the most interesting, earning the water/environment Best Project. The team’s solution to the different kinds of soil ended up being a better way to remove pollutants in general. Other projects dealt with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, whether making repairs at Berkeley Island County Park, winner of the Best small project, or tackling post-storm construction setbacks as did Best health care project awardee The Helen L. and Martin S. Kimmel Pavilion.
Cultural projects also made a big splash. Culture/worship Best Project winner the Shed also received the region’s top award—Project of the Year. The Statue of Liberty Museum earned awards of merit for culture and safety. And in the renovation category, iconic New York City music venue Webster Hall earned an award of merit.
Judges selected 27 projects for recognition, with 14 named category Best Projects and 13 selected for 14 awards of merit; one project received two awards. The jurists—who recused themselves in cases of conflict of interest—considered safety, innovation, quality of design and construction challenges in making their decisions. The judges were:
- Verity Frizzell, principal at Feltz & Frizzell Architects and immediate past president of AIA New Jersey
- Hillary Hulteen, CEO of Lafayette Metal and Glass Co., ENR New York’s 2018 Top Specialty Contractor
- Robert Kipp, general superintendent at Satterfield & Pontikes Construction
- Dana Kfir, project manager at Enovate Engineering and a 2019 ENR New York Top Young Professional
- Paul Loughnane, safety manager at JT Magen & Co., ENR New York’s 2018 Top Contractor
- Diana Plue, senior associate at construction law firm Sheats & Bailey
ENR New York’s Best Projects:
- The Shed’s Mobile Structure Has New Level of Performance
- Elmira-Corning Regional Airport (ELM) Terminal Revitalization
- Newark Liberty International Airport Aviation Fuel System Modifications
- WTC Cortland St. #1 Line Station
- Statue of Liberty Museum
- Cinnaminson Landfill Solar Farm
- Lake Champlain Submarine Cable Replacement
- Kimmel Pavilion
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Bergen Cancer Center
- Benton Hall at Colgate University
- I-280/Route 21 Interchange
- NJ Turnpike Interchange 14A
- LaGuardia Concourse B Food Court
- Jones Beach State Park Cafe
- Hudson Yards Eastern Yards
- Campari Group North American Headquarters
- Hudson Commons/441 9th Ave.
- Woolworth Tower Residences
- Pershing Barracks Renovation/Modernization
- Webster Hall Renovation
- 20 Times Square
- ARO (242 West 53rd Street)
- citizenM New York Bowery Hotel
- Berkeley Island County Park
- Fisher Houses
- Thermally Enhanced Soil Vapor Extraction/Bioremediation at Former Chemical Plant
- LaGuardia Airport Eastern Concourse