First Presbyterian Church of Dallas Sanctuary Renovation
Owner: First Presbyterian Church of Dallas
Lead Design Firm: Architexas
General Contractor: Byrne Construction Services
Civil Engineer: Blum Consulting Engineers Inc.
Structural Engineer: JQ Engineering
Historical Analysis: Source Historical Services
In restoring the sanctuary of the First Presbyterian Church of Dallas to its 1912 Greek Revival design, details were everything. The project team brought in historic-restoration experts and specialized craftsmen to accomplish the $4.1-million restoration.
Multiple renovations over the years had concealed and modified the original design and architectural detailing. Before construction began, consultants conducted a historic analysis for the design team. The firm used a microscope and small scraping tool to peel back layers and expose original colors and accents.
Finding qualified craftsmen and materials that matched those used in 1912 proved extremely challenging. The contractor carefully coordinated with the design team to evaluate qualifications and source hard-to-find materials.
Carpenters spent months fabricating each piece of trim to ensure a perfect fit, while a team of artists performed all the decorative painting and stenciling by hand.
For the plaster, painting and stained-glass dome repair, the contractor erected scaffolding 6 ft below the ceiling, using a light scaffold to avoid overloading the original wood-framed structure.
The age of the building presented several safety concerns. The contractor sent in an abatement team to remove hazardous materials such as asbestos and lead paint and then carefully monitored fire protection for the wood-framed structure.