The $16-million Hanna Theatre renovation consists of the complete renovation of an historic theater that was originally constructed in 1921 as part of the 480,000-sq-ft Hanna Building complex in downtown Cleveland. The original theater was designed by architect Charles A. Platt with a Pompeian theme, and includes intricate coffered plaster ceilings, ornate private boxes, and faux travertine wall finishes.
The Hanna Theatre renovation is the final component of PlayhouseSquare’s 27-year restoration of its five historic grand theaters.
Owner: PlayhouseSquare, Cleveland
General Contractor: Turner Construction Co., Cleveland
Design Firm: Westlake Reed Leskosky, Cleveland
The renovation integrates the lobby, bar and stage into one Great Room. The design features a new thrust pit with a fully flexible hydraulic thrust stage, which allows performances in either a traditional proscenium layout or a thrust layout. The thrust stage can raise to an infinite number of heights, and can raise and lower props and actors in and out of scenes. The renovation also includes 48 automated motorized lines for dynamic set changes.
The project celebrates the historic building by restoring decorative plaster walls and ceilings, refurbishing original decorative metal entries and transoms, and restoring original lighting fixtures.
The project also strives for sustainability, and is expected to receive a LEED Silver Certification for Commercial Interiors from the USGBC.