ENR New York’s 2016 Best Projects awards recognize a collection of diverse work in New York state and New Jersey that relied upon innovative techniques and execution strategies, and that contributed to sustainability and their communities. Judges named 22 projects for the top award in 17 categories, also recognizing five projects for awards of merit.
The panel of judges considered a project’s ability to overcome challenges; attention to safety; level of innovation and contribution to the community or to the industry; emphasis on construction quality; and attention to function and aesthetic quality of design.
ENR New York’s top award—the Project of the Year—ultimately went to 7 Bryant Park. The innovative office tower, also honored as the Best Project in the office/retail/mixed-use category, was recognized for the project team’s ability to create a beautiful and efficient building in a smaller but choice Manhattan space.
Judges for the 2016 competition included: Michael Casey, associate at Woods Bagot; Don Mongitore, partner emeritus at Jaros Baum & Bolles; Derick Hallahan, vice president at HNTB Corp.; Gerard J. Carty, executive director emeritus of The Moles; John Rapaport, vice president of Component Assembly Inc.; Martin Hirko, senior director/QSSE business partner worldwide at Faithful + Gould; Jan Grimsland, vice president of risk management and corporate safety at CNY Group; and William Siegel, managing director of McMahon|Siegel Group. Judges with prior connection to any particular project under consideration for an award recused themselves from evaluating that submission.
- Project of the Year: 7 Bryant Park
- Airport/Transit Award of Merit: World Trade Center Transportation Hub
- Airport/Transit Best Project: Number 7 Subway Line Extention
- Cultural/Worship Best Project: St. Patrick's Cathedral
- Energy/Industrial Best Project: West Deptford Energy Station Black Start System
- Government/Public Building Award of Merit: Public Sagety Answering Center II
- Government/Public Building and Excellence in Safety: Onondaga Lakeview Amphitheater
- Green Best Project: The Kathleen Grimm School for Leadership and Sustainability at Sandy Ground
- Health Care Best Project: Bronx Mental Health Redevelopment
- Higher Education/Research Award of Merit: Princeton University Andlinger Center for Energy and the Enviroment
- Higher Education/Research Best Project: Adler Center for Nursing Excellence and G-Wing Renovation
- Highway/Bridge Best Project: Mohawk Valley Gateway Overlook Pedestrian Bridge
- Interior/Tenant Improvement Best Project: BNY Mellon Headquarters
- K-12 Education Best Project: The East Harlem Center for Living and Learning
- Landscape/Urban Best Project: West 215th Step Street
- Office/Retail/Mixed-Use Award of Merit: Porcelanosa Flagship Showroom
- Renovation/Restoration Award of Merit: La Sirena at the Maritime Hotel
- Renovation/Restoriation Best Project: The Renaissance Albany Hotel-Historic DeWitt Clinton Hotel
- Residential/Hospitality Best Project: VIA 57 West
- Small Project Best Project: Ocean Breeze Indoor Horse Riding Arena
- Water/Environment Best Project: Mantoloking Sea Wall