Kenneth F. Burns Memorial Bridge Replacement Design-Build Project
Award of Merit
Owner Massachusetts Dept. of Transportation
Lead Design Firm Fay, Spofford & Thorndike (now Stantec)
General Contractor The Middlesex Corp.
Civil Engineer Fay, Spofford & Thorndike
Structural Engineer Fay, Spofford & Thorndike
MEP Engineer Fay, Spofford & Thorndike
Designer/Engineer T.Y. Lin
Designer/Engineer Jacobs Engineering
After the bridge over Lake Quinsigamond was deemed structurally deficient, the Massachusetts Dept. of Transportation sought to build an aesthetically pleasing alternative to the typical girder structures it usually builds. In addition to looking good, the approximately $105-million replacement bridge had to accommodate 55,000 vehicles per day.
Over the course of a 39-month schedule, construction crews replaced the single concrete open-spandrel arch bridge—built in 1916—with two steel structures, one each for eastbound and westbound traffic. The matching structures are five-span, open spandrel, steel deck arch bridges supported on concrete abutments and piers resting on deep-pile foundations. Engineers designed the bridge with a minimum life span of 75 years and raised the structures to provide greater clearance for boat traffic.
Each week the project team filled out “STOP Cards” not only for inspections but to immediately reinforce corrective actions.
The cards covered all safety aspects for the project—from trenching to confined space entry, to rigging requirements, fall protection and housekeeping. The number of cards completed were based on man hours per week.
The project team also implemented job-specific safety plans and a detailed water rescue plan developed in conjunction with local first responders. Contractors went so far as to conduct a full-scale search-and-rescue drill on the lake. The project team also established a no-wake zone to protect barge-based workers.