Originally constructed in 1916, the former Ajo Train Depot underwent a building assessment in 2008 that determined the 2,080-sq-ft masonry and stucco structure was in need of substantial repairs and upgrades.
Restoration included re-opening five large arches that had been previously filled in with either windows or stuccoed over to create an interior workspace.
As part of electrical upgrades, the original 1916 switch-gear box, which was still functioning at the beginning of the renovation, was left in place and protected by a clear cover for historical interest.
The resulting new offices for the Ajo Chamber of Commerce and visitor's center will serve more than 1 million annual travelers to the area.
Adaptive Reuse of the Historic Ajo Train DepotAjo, Ariz.
Contractor G&G Specialty Contractors Inc., Phoenix
Owner International Sonoran Desert Alliance, Ajo, Ariz.
Lead Design The Architecture Co., Tucson, Ariz.
Structural Engineer Hess Structural Engineering, Tucson, Ariz.
MEP PH Mechanical; HyLite Design, both Tucson, Ariz.
Consultant Logan Simpson Design Inc., Tempe, Ariz.