Utah’s SME Steel Contractors Inc. has more than 400,000 sq ft of fabrication facilities located in West Jordan, Utah, and Pocatello, Idaho. It also has two miscellaneous steel facilities in Phoenix and Las Vegas that support its structural fabrication shops. This unique combination of products and services allows the company to fabricate and ship more than 2,000 tons of structural steel per week.
SME Steel maintains its own erection crews and on average has more than 350 ironworkers on projects in the West at any given time. It just announced the completion of a new facility located in Price, Utah, slated to begin fabrication in mid-November.
Recent key projects include:
• The Claw. The Claw is the single-largest stage ever constructed. It has a permanent home at the Loveland Living Planet Aquarium in Utah. This 165-ft-tall structure weighs 190 tons and covers 28,287 sq ft of space. It will be used as a setting for movie screenings, farmers markets and other special events.
• Jordan Campus Student Union. SME Steel and sister company, DuraFuse Frames (also a Utah company), have been awarded the Salt Lake Community College Jordan Campus Student Union. This will be the first DuraFuse project in Utah. DuraFuse is a patented system with a shear yielding fuse plate that protects beams and columns during seismic or wind events.
• 95 State Tower. SME Steel was recently awarded the 95 State Tower project, a 28-story high-rise in Salt Lake City.
• Vivint Smart Home Arena Renovation. Home to the NBA’s Utah Jazz, this entertainment venue received a $125-million renovation was awarded ENR’s Best of the Best national award for Sports/Entertainment Projects in 2018.
• Spanish Fork Hospital. SME Steel recently completed the new Intermountain Healthcare Spanish Fork Hospital, with an adjacent medical office and central utility plant building.
• LaVell Edwards Stadium Renovation. SME Steel was awarded this renovation project at Brigham Young University that adds corner infills and a mid-level walkway around the stadium’s perimeter.
SME Steel Contractors will be honored along with other firms of the year at the Mountain States Best Projects event on Oct. 24 in Salt Lake City.