ENR Southeast’s recently announced Best Projects award winners include 38 projects in 15 different construction categories, and representing the Southeast region of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Puerto Rico. We’ll be further recognizing and honoring all of these deserving projects, first within the Nov. 7-14 print edition of ENR Southeast, and then via our annual Best Projects awards luncheon, to be held Nov. 15 in Orlando.
The culmination of ENR Southeast’s Nov. 15 Best Projects luncheon will be the presentation of this year’s Project of the Year award. This year, our panel of judges has nominated five entries for this honor. (To be eligible, projects first had to win the top prize in their respective category.)
This year’s nominees come from a somewhat interesting mix of categories: Health Care; K-12 Education; Office/Retail/Mixed-Use; Small Projects; and Sports/Entertainment. One interesting aspect of this group comes from the fact that one is a K-12 project, while another is a “Pre-K” project. This unusual situation arose from the $2.3-million PreSchool Partners project winning the Small Projects category, which is open to all contracts valued at under $10 million.
Another unusual occurrence is the nomination of two projects submitted by the same contractor, in this case Brasfield & Gorrie. This happened as the result of each of our two judging panels separately nominating one of the firm’s entries. As noted below, these included Brasfield & Gorrie’s entries in the health care and sports and entertainment categories.
Finally, the inclusion of the Mall of San Juan marks the first time that a project located in Puerto Rico has been nominated for the Southeast Project of the Year honor.
Here’s a list of this year’s Project of the Year nominees. Photos of each project are included above.
- Health Care: Grandview Medical Center, Birmingham, Ala. Submitted by Brasfield & Gorrie
- K-12 Education: Wayne County - Grantham Middle School and Spring Creek Middle School, Goldsboro, N.C. Submitted by Metcon, Inc.
- Office/Retail/Mixed-Use: The Mall of San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico. Submitted by dck worldwide
- Small Project: PreSchool Partners, Birmingham, Ala. Submitted by Hoar Construction
- Sports/Entertainment: Georgia Aquarium Sea Lion Exhibit, Atlanta. Submitted by Brasfield & Gorrie, L.L.C.