Well, it's "Best Projects" time again. It's time to announce this year's winning projects in ENR Southeast's annual Best Projects competition.
This is always an exciting time of year for the staff at ENR Southeast, as we get to recognize the industry's "best" construction and design achievements. This year, our independent panel of judges reviewed more than 100 entries, choosing 26 projects across 16 separate categories as worthy of this special recognition. The projects listed below include all of the winners in a category, both the "Best" in category, and those that were runners-up. The top winners in each category will be announced later.
The Oak Ridge National Laboratory Chemical and Materials Sciences Building in Oak Ridge, Tenn., was one of this year's "Best Projects" award winners. Photo by Gayle Babcock/Courtesy McCarthy Building Cos.
It's a great group of projects that the judges have chosen, as you'll see from the list below. This year, ENR Southeast's competition included entries from the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.
More information about each of these projects will be included in the November issue of ENR Southeast. Also, these projects and the teams that built and designed them will be honored at the magazine's annual Best Projects awards luncheon, to be held Nov. 15 in Orlando. For more information about the event, please check here.
Also, this year, our judges nominated four of these winning projects for consideration as the best overall project. The nominees for this special award—which will be announced later—include the following: Freedom Tower Restoration; Legoland Florida; Marlins Park; and Yellow River Water Reclamation Facility Improvements.
Now, here are this year's "Best Projects," along with the companies who submitted these winning entries. Congrats to all!
- Atlanta Humane Society, Mansell Campus Renovation, Alpharetta, Ga. – Submitted by Bacon Group Architecture
- Blue Ridge Dam Penstock Rehabilitation, Blue Ridge, Ga. – Submitted by Garney Cos.
- Boeing Company, 787 Building Program, North Charleston, S.C. – Submitted by KBR Building Group
- Casa Verde, Redington Shores, Fla. – Submitted by The Artec Group
- Cumberland Park, Nashville, Tenn. – Submitted by Barge Cauthen & Associates
- Duke Medicine/Duke Cancer Institute, Durham, N.C. — Submitted by KBR Building Group
- Estiatorio Milos, Miami Beach, Fla. – Submitted by Plaza Construction
- Fort Benning Gateway, Columbus, Ga. – Submitted by Batson-Cook Construction
- Freedom Tower Restoration, Miami – Submitted by Kaufman Lynn Construction
- General Funding Office Building, Miami – Submitted by Coastal Construction Co.
- General Services Administration, New Federal Building and Courthouse, Tuscaloosa, Ala. — Submitted by KBR Building Group
- Georgia Institute of Technology Carbon-Neutral Energy Solutions Laboratory, Atlanta — Submitted by Gilbane Building Co.
- Jacksonville Humane Society, Community Animal Hospital, Jacksonville, Fla. – Submitted by Elkins Constructors
- LEGOLAND Florida, Winter Haven, Fla. – Submitted by PCL Construction Services
- Lynch Replacement Elementary School, St. Petersburg, Fla. – Submitted by Ajax Building Corp.
- Marlins Park, Miami – Submitted by Hunt/Moss Joint Venture
- Marlins Park Parking, Miami – Submitted by Suffolk Construction Co.
- Medicago USA Vaccine Research Production Facility and Greenhouse, Durham, N.C. – Submitted by KBR Building Group
- MIA Mover APM System, Miami – Submitted by Parsons-Odebrecht Joint Venture
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Chemical and Material Sciences Building, Oak Ridge, Tenn. – Submitted by McCarthy Building Cos.
- Project Forward, Kennesaw, Ga. – Submitted by DPR Construction
- St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort and Residences, Miami Beach, Fla. – Submitted by Coastal Construction Co.
- Sustainable Fellwood Phase III, Savannah, Ga. – Submitted by Catamount Constructors
- Think Tank, Savannah, Ga. – Submitted by CSCP Consult
- University of North Florida Science and Humanities Building, Jacksonville, Fla. – Submitted by Ajax Building Corp.
- Yellow River Water Reclamation Facility Improvements, Lilburn, Ga. – Submitted by CH2M Hill