In our upcoming June issue, Southeast Construction will publish its annual Top Projects report, which ranks, by construction contract value, the largest contracts to break ground during 2008 within Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina.
This year’s ranking includes 20 projects. Whereas last year the minimum for inclusion on the Top Projects ranking was a $100 million construction contract value, this year the lowest-ranked project is valued at about $77 million.
Of course, during the last few years, the magazine's Top Projects ranking has contained quite a few condominium contracts. Many of those were located in South Florida, but Atlanta definitely had its share, too. This year, however, not a single condominium project made the list. (Going out on a limb, I'm predicting that next year's ranking won't have one, either.)
That said, quite a few contracts on this year's list are located in the South Florida area, Miami in particular. Of the 20 included here, five are in the Miami area. That compares to the Atlanta metro market--statistically, usually the largest construction metro in the four-state region--which placed only two projects on this year's ranking.
The main theme on this year's ranking, however, is the predominance of public-sector contracts. Of the 20 projects, 13 (65%) are funded by public owners. Last year, 36% of the projects were publicly funded.
Here's a preview of this year's Top Projects ranking, which publishes June 1. More detailed information about each of the projects, including project description, construction team members and other information, will be posted online at that time.
So check it out. Did we miss any notable projects? Let us know.
1. $1.8 billion Cliffside Steam Station Modernization - Rutherford/Cleveland county line, N.C.
2. $617 million Salt Waste Processing Facility - Aiken, S.C.
3. $305 million South Cobb Tunnel - Cobb County, Ga.
4. $280 million Orlando Events Center – Orlando, Fla.
5. $250 million The Peabody Orlando - Orlando
6. $212.9 million U.S. Southern Command Headquarters - Doral, Fla.
7. $196.3 million Interstate 95, Brevard County, Fla. - Brevard County, Fla.
8. $139 million Hammond Road Detention Center - Wake County, N.C.
9. $125.6 million North Terminal Development-Miami International Airport - Miami
10. $121.5 million 95 Express - Miami
11. $120 million West Kendall Baptist Hospital - West Kendall, Fla.
12. $112.5 million Spirit AeroSystems - Lenoir County, N.C.
13. $110 million Georgia Aquarium Expansion - Atlanta
14. $107.8 million NCDOT U.S. Route 19 - Madison and Yancey counties, N.C.
15. $102.8 million ECUA Central Water Reclamation Facility - Cantonment, Fla.
16. $93.2 million Mount Pleasant Hospital and MOB - Mount Pleasant, S.C.
17. $90 million York Comprehensive High School and Technology Center - York, S.C.
18. $86 million Malcom Randall VA Medical Center - Gainesville, Fla.
19. $79.4 million Miami Carol City Senior High School, Phase B & C - Miami Gardens, Fla.
20. $77 million Phipps Tower Office Building - Atlanta