ENR California is pleased to announce the 2021 Regional Best Projects winners! So far in ENR’s annual regional contest, ENR California’s judges have awarded over 45 honors for the region of California and Hawaii.
Thanks to the large number of entries, we divided the region into two: Northern California and Southern California.
Each year, ENR California assembles a group of judges, with varying specialties and expertise in the construction industry, to review, score and form a panel to determine Best Projects winners for the region. Judges independently review entries, score each on pre-specified criteria, and convene with fellow judges to vote. Together, the judges’ panels select honorees for Best Project and Merit awards. (Judges recuse themselves in cases of conflict of interest.)
ENR is grateful for this year's, in alphabetical order by first name:
- Aaron Yohnke, Vice President & District Manager – Los Angeles, PCL Construction Services Inc.
- Angie Kung, Associate | Environmental Section Manager, HDR Inc.
- Beatriz Kim, Engineering Team Lead, Rosendin
- Caleigh Raymer, Vice President, Director of Operations, Lendlease
- Donald Kahn, Project Executive, Largo Concrete, Inc.
- Doug Conrath, Principal, CRB
- Greg Nelson, Principal, Altitude Design Office
- Kim Scott, Vice President, Business Development & Marketing, Blach Construction
- Victor Nuñez, Business Development Manager, Turner Construction Co.
Judges will choose a Project of the Year from the Best Project-level winners listed below – which ENR will announce at the ENR California Regional Best Projects Awards in October. This year’s awards events will be held LIVE and IN PERSON. The Southern California awards will be on Oct. 13 in Los Angeles (click here for more LA information), and the Northern California awards on Oct. 15 in San Francisco (click here for more SF information). And please stay tuned for our announcement of annual Excellence in Safety and Excellence in Sustainability award winners.
Congratulations to this year’s winners!
ENR California's 2021 Regional Best Project Winners
Best Airport/Transit Project – Northern California
- SFO Airtrain Extension Project, submitted by Skanska USA
Best Airport/ Transit Project – Southern California
- Union-Patsaouras Plaza Busway Station, submitted by OHL USA Inc.
Award of Merit – Airport/Transit – Southern California
- Southwest Airlines Terminal 1.5 Development Program at Los Angeles International Airport, submitted by Hensel Phelps
Best Cultural/Worship Project – Southern California
- Donald Dungan Library and Norma Hertzog Community Center, submitted by STV
Award of Merit – Cultural/Worship – Southern California
- City of Yorba Linda, Library & Cultural Arts Center, submitted by Griffin Structures
Best Higher Education/Research Project – Northern California
- College of Marin - Bill and Adele Jonas Center, submitted by ZFA Structural Engineers
Award of Merit – Higher Education/Research – Northern California
- Cañada College Kinesiology and Wellness Building, submitted by Blach Construction
- California State University Monterey Bay Otter Student Union, submitted by Gilbane
Best Higher Education/Research Project – Southern California
- Harvey Mudd College, Scott A. McGregor Computer Science Center, submitted by DPR Construction
Award of Merit – Higher Education/Research – Southern California
- University of Hawaii, West O'ahu Academy for Creative Media, submitted by Gensler
Best Energy/Industrial Project – Southern California
- AES Alamitos 100MW BESS, submitted by PNG Builders
Best Government/Public Building Project – Northern California
- County of Santa Clara, Animal Services Center, submitted by Dreyfuss + Blackford Architecture
Award of Merit – Government/Public Building – Northern California
- Navy General Administration Facility, submitted by Turner Construction Co.
Best Highway/Bridge Project – Northern California
- US 101 Deck Replacement at Alemany Circle, submitted by Myers & Sons Construction
Award of Merit – Highway/Bridge – Northern California
- Colfax I-80 Truck Climbing Lane (Caltrans 03-1F4004), submitted by Teichert Construction
Award of Merit – Highway Bridge – Southern California
- SR 58 Kramer Junction CM/GC, submitted by Kiewit Infrastructure West Co.
Best Health Care Project – Northern California
- Modoc Medical Center Replacement Facility, submitted by Swinerton
Award of Merit - Health Care – Northern California
- MBC BioLabs at 930 Brittan Avenue, submitted by UpSpring PR
Best Health Care Project – Southern California
- Sharp Rees-Stealy Santee Medical Center, submitted by DPR Construction
Award of Merit - Health Care – Southern California
- Cedars-Sinai Ventana Cancer Care Clinic, submitted by ZGF
Best Interior/Tenant Improvement Project – Northern California
- 237 Moffett Park Drive, submitted by XL Construction Corp.
Best Interior/Tenant Improvement Project – Southern California
- GoodRx, submitted by Clune Construction
Best K-12 Education Project – Northern California
- The Oakland Unified School District Central Kitchen, Instructional Farm, and Education Center, submitted by C. Overaa & Co.
Award of Merit – K-12 – Northern California
- West Park High School, Phase 1, submitted by DLR Group
Best K-12 Education Project – Southern California
- The Archer School for Girls, submitted by MATT Construction
Award of Merit – K-12 – Southern California
- The Thacher School Creative & Technology Building, submitted by The PENTA Building Group
Award of Merit – Landscape/Urban Development – Northern California
- Park Point Landscape, submitted by Swinerton Builders
Best Manufacturing Project – Northern California
- CalPlant Rice Straw-Based MDF Manufacturing Plant, submitted by Industrial Projects Consulting
Award of Merit – Manufacturing – Northern California
- Vantage Data Centers Campus, Phase 1: Buildings 1&2, submitted by DPR Construction
Best Office/Retail/Mixed-Use Project – Northern California
- Telegraph-Haste Student Housing, submitted by ZFA Structural Engineers
Best Office/Retail/Mixed-Use Project – Southern California
- WE3 at Water's Edge, submitted by Zoltan E. Pali | SPF:architects
Award of Merit – Office/Retail/Mixed-Use – Southern California
- Marina Del Rey Pier 44, submitted by Sinanian Development Inc.
Best Renovation/Restoration Project – Northern California
- Replace/Upgrade Pier 2 at Military Ocean Terminal Concord (MOTCO), submitted by Kiewit/Manson MOTCO, a joint venture
Award of Merit – Renovation/Restoration – Northern California
- San Francisco Animal Care and Control Facility, submitted by Clark Construction Group
Best Renovation/Restoration Project – Southern California
- Watt Plaza Lobby, submitted by Clune Construction
Award of Merit – Renovation/Restoration – Southern California
- Greystone Theater, submitted by MATT Construction
Best Residential/Hospitality Project – Northern California
- 50 Jones, submitted by Swinerton Builders
Award of Merit – Residential/Hospitality – Northern California
- Viamonte at Walnut Creek, submitted by Cahill Contractors
Best Residential/Hospitality Project – Southern California
- Catherine Santa Monica (Phase 1), submitted by Milender White Inc.
Award of Merit – Residential/Hospitality – Southern California
- 1500 Granville, submitted by Suffolk Construction
- Hilda L. Solis Care First Village, submitted by Bernards
Small Project (under $10 million)
Best Small Project (under $10 million) – Northern California
- Royal Hawaiian Groin Replacement, submitted by Kiewit Infrastructure West Co.
Best Small Project (under $10 million) – Southern California
- Bonita Sunnyside Library Addition and Remodel, submitted by JKA
Best Specialty Construction Project – Southern California
- Schuyler Heim Bridge Fender Lowering, submitted by Schwager Davis Inc.
Best Water/Environment Project – Northern California
- Hell Hole Dam Core Raise, submitted by Kiewit Infrastructure West Co.
Best Water/Environment Project – Southern California
- Santa Anita Dam Spillway Modification, submitted by Kiewit Infrastructure West Co.