In late October, the U.S. Dept. of Transportation’s Maritime Administration awarded 41 port projects nationwide a total of $703 million in funding as part of this year's Port Infrastructure Development grants program. California received the largest number of grants overall, with a total of $93.3 million going six different projects statewide. Hawaii received $43.7 million for one project. The breakdown of the grant recipients is below.

The announcement comes as the California State Transportation Agency has issued a call for projects to receive funding as part of the state's $1.2 billion in one-time state funding for port and freight infrastructure projects. Approximately 70 percent of the program funding will go to projects that support goods movement through the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, and the remaining 30 percent will fund ports and goods movement infrastructure in the rest of the state.

“California’s ports are critical to exporting and importing goods both abroad and throughout the United States,” said Governor Newsom in a statement. "After decades of neglect, we are finally making the critical investments needed to modernize our ports – helping us to keep up with demand in a way that is environmentally sustainable and brings our distribution process into the 21st Century.”

Project applications are due January 13, 2023, and CalSTA expects to announce the funding awards in March 2023. 

Project Location Amount
Fisherman’s Terminal Piling Replacement Project City of Eureka $650,000
Middle Harbor Terminal Zero Emission Conversion Project Port of Long Beach $30.1 million
Outer Harbor Terminal Redevelopment Project Port of Oakland $36.6 million
Port of San Francisco Amador Street Infrastructure Improvement Project Port of San Francisco $9.6 million
Port of Stockton Rail Rehabilitation and Upgrade Project Port of Stockton $9.6 million
Seawall Replacement Project Crescent City $7.4 million
Project Location Amount
Kapalama Container Terminal Project Honolulu Harbor $47.3 million