Award of Merit
Owner: Granite Properties
Lead Design Firm: GFF Inc.
General Contractor: DPR Construction
Civil Engineer: Pacheco Koch
Structural Engineer: L.A. Fuess Partners
MEP Engineer: Purdy-McGuire Engineers
Landscape Architect: MESA Design Group
Lighting: Essential Light Design Studio LLC
This Class-A office and retail adaptive-reuse project was part of the certified historic rehabilitation of the Brown Cracker & Candy Co. The 225,000-sq-ft complex comprises three buildings: two of them are four stories, originally constructed of load-bearing masonry and heavy timber in 1903 and 1906, and a seven-story, reinforced-concrete and brick addition in 1923.
The project called for full restoration of the exterior, restorative interior work and new infrastructure. A floor was added to each building, and three 20-ft water towers on the roof of the seven-story building were refinished. When converting the basement into a parking garage, the team found a large, undocumented brick grade beam. Crews had to drill mini-piers and add steel reinforcement to remove it.