Worker Dies at Wynn Boston Harbor Project Site
Fatality comes on the heels of Steve Wynn sexual assault controversy
A worker died at the Wynn Boston Harbor project site in Everett, Mass., on April 3, according to the Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan's office.
Joe Teixeira, 56, of Seekonk, died after he was injured while using an excavator to dismantle a trench box at the south end of the site, according to a statement from Ryan's office. The statement said he regained consciousness at the scene before being taken to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries. This statement said that the case has been referred to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, who will determine the cause of death.
Suffolk, the contractor for the $2.4-million casino scheduled to open in June, referred all questions to a Wynn spokesman.
"This is a very sad day for everyone at Wynn Boston Harbor," Greg John, a spokesman for Wynn Boston Harbor, wrote in an email. "We are launching a full investigation into the incident."
John added, "Our deepest condolences and heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to his family and coworkers."
Teixeira worked for Suffolk's site-work subcontractor, J. Derenzo Co., for the last four years, according to a spokeswoman for the firm. "Our deepest-felt thoughts and prayers are with Joe's family, friends and co-workers, as well as everyone impacted by this incident," the spokeswoman wrote in an emailed statement. "We offer our condolences and support in the aftermath of this tragic event."
The Brockton, Mass.-based firm's website says it "has been one of New England's premier site work contractors for over 65 years." The website says the firm performs clearing, grading and excavation work. It also says it installs earth retention and foundation systems, performs landscaping, installs curbing and finalizes utility hook ups.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration was notified about the death April 4 and dispatched inspectors to the scene, according to an OSHA spokesman. The spokesman said there are four other open OSHA investigations at the site, including one opened after a worker was hospitalized after falling down an elevator shaft in January. On March 16, a worker was injured when the scissor lift he was working from tipped over. And in December, another worker was struck by an excavator bucket.
The April 3 fatality comes the week after Wynn executives acknowledged that the Wynn name could be removed from the project. Wynn stepped down as the company's chief executive earlier this year after allegations surfaced that he committed sexual harassment and misconduct.
The allegations prompted the Massachusetts Gaming Commission to open an ongoing investigation to determine whether the regulator will strip Wynn Resorts of its casino license.
It has also recently been reported that Wynn is looking to sell part or all of his stake in his former company.
The 3-million-sq-ft resort is the largest private single-phase construction project in the state's history. The project includes a five-star resort with 671 hotel rooms, a high-end spa, ballroom, and retail, dining and meeting space.