Police Charge Queens Man in Shooting at Manhattan Jobsite
A 29-year-old man has been arrested and charged in the July 1 shooting of a union foreman at Manhattan's Hells Kitchen jobsite. Anthony Manco of Flushing, Queens, was charged on July 2 with attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and criminal possession of a weapon, says an NYPD spokesman.
A second suspect, identified as Robert Sasso, was also taken into custody on July 2 in connection with the shooting, but had not been charged as of late Wednesday afternoon, the spokesman says. He would not say whether Sasso was still in custody.
Media reports quoting anonymous sources say that police believe that Manco shot the victim, 56-year-old Louis Lamburini, and fled in a white car driven by Sasso. The reports also say that Lamburini may have been Sasso's foreman.
Lamburini had been sitting in a Judlau Contracting van at West. 49th St. and Ninth Ave., when a gunman approached and shot him in the shoulder, says Frank Cara, Judlau executive vice president and general counsel. Lamburini is a maintenance foreman for Local 15 of the International Union of Operating Engineers and has been working at Judlau for eight months, Cara says.
Judlau and its parent OHL USA have a joint venture contract for trunk and water main work for the Manhattan leg of the Water Tunnel No. 3 project.