This year’s safety competition was the tightest one so far. Our safety judges noted that many firms have improved not only their safety records but also their approaches to safety through comprehensive, job-specific programs with well-documented plans and good follow-through. As always, we asked the judges not to make the size of the projects a major consideration, but larger and more complex projects tend to demand more extensive safety measures. Here are this year’s safety winners, by region:
• Colorado/Wyoming Safety Award Winner: Metropolitan State University of Denver Hotel and Hospitality Learning Center, Denver
• Colorado/Wyoming Safety Award Merit: Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center, Denver
• Intermountain Safety Award Winner: FCF Rebuild, Salt Lake City
• Intermountain Safety Award Merit: High Mesa Wind Farm, Twin Falls, Idaho
Colorado/Wyoming area Best Overall finalists:
• Mesa Verde National Park Visitor and Research Center, Mesa Verde, Colo.
• Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center, Denver
• Wayne N. Aspinall Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse Renovation, Grand Junction, Colo.
Intermountain area Best Overall finalists:
• Adobe Corporate Campus, Lehi, Utah
• Salt Lake City Public Safety Building, Salt Lake City
• U.S. 95 Sand Creek Byway, Sandpoint, Idaho
Information and registration for the Best Projects events is available at: http://construction.com/events/2013/bestprojects/
Hope to see you in Salt Lake City or Denver for the awards ceremonies.