ENR Mountain States is nearly complete with the research on the largest new projects started in our five-state region last year. We are seeking projects that broke ground (meaning that real construction got under way on them, not just turning dirt with the ceremonial shovels) between January 1 and December 31, 2012. The projects can be located in Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho or Montana, and represent any type of construction, from pipelines, heavy-highway and infrastructure work to new building projects and renovations. The final list will appear in ranked order by dollar volume in the April issue of the magazine and here on our website.
So far, the 2012 list of top starts is an impressive mix of energy and infrastructure jobs, health care, commercial, educational facilities and mixed-use residential. Absent from the list are the mega-projects that topped it over the last few years, such as the $1-billion-plus Eagle P3 transit project in Denver, the replacement VA hospital in Aurora and the massive Utah Data Center. Also, many of Utah’s large transportation projects, such as the I-15 CORE and the Mountain View Corridor, are either complete or well under way and thus do not qualify as new work from last year.
If you have a big project that broke ground last year and think it should be part of our list, please e-mail me the details (project name, location, dollar amount, date started, owner and scheduled completion) at email@example.com or call me at 303-526-0620. I may still be able to add it to the list up until the end of March.
Here, in random order (not ranked), are many of the biggest new projects that got under way in 2012, with their locations and general contractors and/or owners.
• Union Station Interior Renovation, Denver (Milender White)
• U.S. 36 Expansion and Bus Rapid Transit, Denver-Boulder area (Ames-Granite joint venture)
• CU Boulder Campus Utility System Upgrade, Boulder (JE Dunn)
• One City Block, Denver (Saunders)
• Xactware Corporate Office Building, Lehi, Utah (Big-D)
• Cheyenne Regional Medical Center, Cheyenne (GE Johnson)
• Lone Tree Medical Complex, Lone Tree (Adolfson & Peterson)
• South Terminal Redevelopment Program at Denver International Airport, Denver (Mortenson-Hunt-Saunders Triventure)
• Steamboat Springs Senior Housing, Steamboat Springs, Colo. (Adolfson & Peterson)
• eBay Customer Service Center, Draper, Utah (Okland)
• CU Recreation Center Upgrades, Boulder (Saunders)
• Rim Rock Wind Project, Montana (Mortenson)
• Children’s Hospital South, Denver (Saunders)
• I-225 - Mississippi Avenue to Parker Road, SH 83 Widening, Aurora, Colo. (SEMA)
• University of Utah Beverly Taylor Sorenson Arts and Education Complex, Salt Lake City (Okland)
• Cherokee Generation Station (Swerdfeger)
• Trimble Westminster (JE Dunn)
• Idaho Highway 16 Extension