Resource Management – The Secret to Project Success
Engineering firms manage many types of resources day in and day out. With so many resources to manage, it’s often easy to lose sight of your most important resource: your people!
Many firms recognize the value of resource management, but many struggle with managing their people resources effectively. If resource planning is done too late in the game, it will result in projects that are over budget and behind schedule.
Having an enterprise tool to effectively manage resources allows you to see the big picture.
Here are 7 tips to help you manage your people resources:
- Work to find a solution aside from managing your team on disparate excel spreadsheets
- Look at your projects in real-time and provide the team with access to the metrics they need most to make good decisions
- Plan at the project level – but have a system in place that allows you to look across the entire organization and avoid silos
- Manage your resources in a single central repository
- Forecast and manage your resources during the entire project lifecycle, not just at the beginning, or worse, wait until the end to see how you did
- Create and maintain a skills catalogue to assure the right people are available when you need them
- Have a central repository for your resource plans that can be accessed by all members of the team
If your engineering team is struggling with any of the above, it might be time to look for a solution. Unanet’s Enterprise Resource Planning tool allows you to better manage your projects, people, and financials (yes, all of them!) in one integrated system. Learn more today.