Three major airports have received multi-year funding commitments from the Transportation Security Administration to help cover the costs of installing new explosive-detection equipment. TSA said on July 7 that its first "letters of intent" will go to Dallas/Fort Worth International, Boston Logan International and Seattle-Tacoma International airports and span three or four years.

TSA said Seattle/Tacoma will receive $159 million, Dallas/Fort Worth $104 million and Boston Logan $87 million, "subject to the availability of funds." The money will come from TSA's annual appropriations. The agency says it expects to have similar agreements "with several more airports in the next few weeks."

Under the letters of intent, TSA commits to cover 75% of "permitted costs" of the new "in line" baggage-screening equipment, with the local airports picking up the other 25%. Permitted expenses include site preparation, structural reinforcement, electrical, heating air conditioning and environmental upgrades, conveyor belts and tables.