ABC Rocky Mountain Presents 2016 STEP and Chapter Safety Awards
The Rocky Mountain Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors honored a number of their member companies for their efforts in making safety a priority on construction sites. The awards were presented during the chapter’s Safety & Education Awards banquet on May 19 in Denver.
ABC National hands out the Safety Training and Evaluation Process (STEP) awards based on submitted applications.
Receiving the highest award of the elite Diamond STEP level were Heating & Plumbing Engineers of Denver, Interstate Electrical Contractors of Wheat Ridge, LPR Construction Co. of Loveland, Milender White Construction Co. of Arvada, and TIC - The Industrial Co. of Englewood.
Platinum level winners included ADK Electric Corp, Englewood; Bergelectric Corp., Littleton; dcb Construction Co. Inc., Denver; Design Mechanical, Louisville; Encore Electric, Englewood; FCI Constructors, Frederick; HITT Contracting, Golden; Interstates Cos., Fort Collins; Kenny Electric, Denver; Mays Concrete, Grand Junction; MTech Mechanical, Denver; National Coatings Inc., Denver; RK Mechanical Inc., Denver; Roche Constructors Inc., Greeley; Shaw Construction, Denver; and Spacecon Specialty Contractors, Colorado Springs.
Gold STEP awards were presented to AMI Mechanical Inc., Thornton; BT Construction Inc., Henderson; Colorado Barricade Co., Denver; Douglass Colony Group, Commerce City; McClone Construction Co., Wheat Ridge; Mortenson Construction, Denver; Power Design Inc., St. Petersburg, Fla.; The Northern Group (formerly Northern Electric), Thornton; and White Construction Group, Castle Rock.
Achieving Silver STEP awards were Adolfson & Peterson Construction, Aurora; Central Mechanical Inc., Erie; Cutting Edge Glass, Denver; Diamond Drilling and Sawing Co. Inc., Denver; DS Constructors LLC, Loveland; Duro Electric Co., Englewood; Fiore and Sons Inc., Denver; Greiner Electric LLC, Littleton; ICI, Denver; Parkway Electric & Communications LLC, Loveland; Phase 2 Co., Fort Collins; Pinkard Construction, Lakewood; and Piper Electric Co. Inc., Arvada.
ABC Chapter Safety Awards were presented to member firms in the following categories:
Most Improved Safety Program
- Fiore & Sons, Denver
Outstanding Safety Program for General Contractors
- Less than 150,000 Man-Hours – Milender White Construction Co., Arvada
- 150,000 – 350,000 Man-Hours – Roche Constructors Inc., Greeley
- 350,000 – 750,000 Man-Hours – Adolfson & Peterson Construction, Aurora
- 1 million – 3 million Man-Hours – TIC – The Industrial Company, Englewood
Outstanding Safety Programs for Subcontractors
- Less Than 150,000 Man-Hours – National Coatings, Inc., Denver
- 150,000 – 250,000 Man-Hours – ICI, Denver
- 250,000 – 500,000 Man-Hours (tie) – BT Construction Inc., Henderson; and Greiner Electric LLC, Littleton
- 500,000 – 1 million Man-Hours – MTech Mechanical, Denver
- Over 1 million Man-Hours (tie) – LPR Construction Co., Loveland; and RK Mechanical Inc., Denver
Outstanding Safety Record-General Contractors
- Less than 50 Employees – HITT Contracting, Golden
- 50 - 99 Employees – Milender White Construction Co., Arvada
- 100 - 199 Employees - Shaw Construction, Denver
- 200 - 499 Employees – FCI Constructors Inc., Frederick
- Over 1,000 Employees – TIC – The Industrial Co., Englewood
Outstanding Safety Record- Subcontractors
- Less than 50 Employees – National Coatings Inc., Denver
- 50 - 99 Employees – Mays Concrete Inc., Grand Junction
- 100 – 199 Employees – BT Construction, Henderson
- 200 – 499 Employees – Douglass Colony Group, Commerce City
- 500 – 999 Employees – Encore Electric Inc., Englewood
- Over 1,000 Employees – RK Mechanical Inc., Denver
Two additional awards recognized individuals, rather than companies, for their outstanding safety records. The first award, for Outstanding Field Professional, was given to Dan Locke with RK Mechanical Inc. in Denver. The Tony Dietrich Safety Professional of the Year Award was presented to Tom Alvarez with RK Mechanical in Denver.
Before the awards portion of the ceremony, three Colorado high school students received the ABC Bob Piper Construction Education Scholarships, which totaled $3,000. Receiving scholarships were Un-Dre Woodruff, a student at Colorado High School Charter School planning to attend Emily Griffiths Technical College to pursue training in welding.
Recipient Devin Slade Pletcher is a student at Yuma High School and is planning on attending Red Rocks Community College to become an electrician. The third winner was Diego Diaz from Del Norte, Colo. He attends Del Norte High School and will attend Colorado Mesa University to pursue a degree in construction management.