A heat wave over much of the U.S. last week claimed a construction worker near Tucson—a stark reminder of the danger heat poses to those in the building trades. Mark Geise, 44, died of apparent heat-related illness while constructing a propane filling station at a Costco store. A resident of Indiana, Geise was employed by Seese Construction, Monrovia, Ind., according to his obituary.
The Marana Police Dept. and OSHA are investigating. It was the third heat-related death of an out-of-state resident in Tucson in the past month. After Geise collapsed at around 4:30 p.m., bystanders called 911 and began CPR. Arriving minutes later, paramedics began advanced life support on Geise but were unable to revive him, says Capt. Adam Goldberg of the Northwest Fire Rescue District.