Childrens Hospital Colorado South Campus Breaks Ground
Children’s Hospital Colorado broke ground May 23 on its future $100-million Children’s Hospital Colorado South Campus in Highlands Ranch. Slated to open at the end of 2013, the South Campus will offer a wide range of pediatric services, including urgent care, outpatient specialty, inpatient and surgery care along with state-of-the-art imaging and diagnostic services.
Children’s Colorado expects to host nearly 80,000 patient visits at the South Campus during its first year. The 175,000-sq-ft facility will be located on 22 acres of land at the corner of Plaza Drive and Lucent Boulevard, south of C-470.
“The southern communities along the Front Range have continued to grow at a rapid rate, particularly attracting families with children,” said Jim Shmerling, president and CEO of Children’s Colorado. “With this growth has come an increased demand for convenient access to expert pediatric care. With our new South Campus, as well as our soon-to-open specialty care clinic in Colorado Springs, Children’s Colorado will be better positioned to meet the needs of families in these communities.”
The overall scope of services at the new South Campus will include:
• Inpatient care for acute care services
• Outpatient clinics – Cardiology, Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, Digestive Health Institute, Endocrinology, ENT, Genetics, Gynecology, Neurology, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Pediatric Surgery, Pulmonary, Rehab and Urology
• 24/7 urgent care – 22 exam rooms for lower acuity patients
• Sports medicine program with gym and physical therapy
• Surgery center – four operating rooms
• Infusion center
• Laboratory services – lab draws and specimen processing to support patients from urgent care, inpatient, infusion, clinics and operating rooms, as well as walk-in patients